The Darklord Smaug!

valedhelgwath

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's a frightening thought, Cirdan. Smaug was intellegent, so I believe he could have used the ring. An invisible, magic wielding dragon, he would have been terrible. However, he was vain, so I believe he would have served the ring's purpose rather than it serving his. He would have wrought a great deal of damage before the ring eventually tricked him into being captured by Sauron. I wouldn't want to be Sauron trying to take it off him though.

grondmaster

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Now I wonder why The Ring didn't try to leave Bilbo for Smaug. I suppose the ring recognized a will as strong as its own and decided to give him a pass. For this reason I think Sauron might have met his match had Smaug actually had control of the ring when they met.

The Nazgul wouldn't have helped as Dragons are fearless; and great hoards of orcs couldn't overwhelm him were he airborne. So unless Sauron could hit Smaug with a never ending stream from a water cannon, could toss a very large number of giant snowballs down Smaug's gullet, or battle him using a cold bladed light saber while wearing asbestos underwear, I think the Darklord Smaug would have been the final outcome. :verysad:
'Share and enjoy'

chikakat

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Could Smaug really have used it? because it had to be worn to make use of it, and I dunno if it'd fit on Smaug's finger (claw?)...so if it didn't fit, he couldn't be invisible, which means that some Orc archer could probably find that weak spot in Smaug's armor, and that'd be the end of him.

grondmaster

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Leave it to Chikakat to use logic to blow our scenario to smithereens. :P: Of course, maybe the ring can expand to fit the finger (or claw) of any creature that it desires to use enroute to returning to Sauron. Then agai others have said elsewhere, that the ring isn't sentient, so how can it adjust its size to fit? About that, I haven't I haven't the foggiest. :D
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If the ring didn't adjust its size and it was made for Sauron, I think Bilbo would have been able to use it as a bracelet.
I think, also, it had a tendancy to slip off fingers when a better wielder was close at hand. I think Smaug would have found this happening to him the moment he flew over Dol Guldur to confront Sauron.

TomBombadillo

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If the ring didn't adjust its size and it was made for Sauron, I think Bilbo would have been able to use it as a bracelet.

:grin: Indeed, that's true. I could have put it in a better way.

This is such an interesting topic, I think I'll join in the thinking. Now if the Ring would have chosen Smaug as its bearer, would Smaug have been corrupted in the end? I think so, because the Ring's power is too strong for anyone to bear. But the Ring would have had a hard time to corrupt Smaug's mind, certainly. I think that's why it didn't choose to leave Bilbo for Smaug. Bilbo fitted its purpose better.

But sure, if it would have happened this way, it would have been Smaug for the throne. Dreadful thought, innit? :superscared:nn[Edited on 5/7/2002 by TomBombadillo]
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Sam

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Maybe there was some kind of connection between Sauron and the Ring...?
Maybe Sauron could say what the Ring should do...There must have been some kind of connection, but what kind of...?

valedhelgwath

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think Sauron put a lot of himself into the Ring when he forged it. By that, I mean he bound some of his own spirit into it. Wearing the ring would have made him powerful, but without it, I think he would have been weaker than before he made it.
Because so much of himself was bound up within it, 1) it was sentient, and 2) it acted on his will, because in a way it was him. Because of this, I believe the Ring was searching for its true owner as much as he was searching for it, both parts wanting to become a whole once more. With this reasoning, I don't think the Ring would have settled for anyone other than Sauron, even Smaug.
Even with this link between Sauron and the Ring though, he never knew quite where it was when it wasn't being worn. Should someone put it on, however, he seemed to be able to home in on it in the spirit world (Frodo several times saw the Eye searching for him). His power over the Ring seemed very dependant on distance too. The nearer Frodo got to Mordor, the heavier the Ring became, and the more influence it had over him. I don't thiink it was just coincidence that after possessing it all those years, it finally took control at the very end. It was because that was the first time Frodo had taken it that close to Sauron.

grondmaster

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Exactly :exclam: (What Val just said.) :)
'Share and enjoy'

Cirdan

The Darklord Smaug!

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yep sounds good! but just a small niggle. why didnt Bilbo feel the burden of the ring more when he passed so close to Dol Gulder?
Someone powerful also could have wielded the 1 ring to destroy Sauron, so I dont reckon it would have slipped from Smaug so easily. True the nature of the ring was to ultimately find its creator, but it could still have been used against him (i.e Galadriel when offered the ring declares that she will....well you know the rest!) So it seems possible that the ring would settle for someone other than Sauron if they had the strength to possess it. Smaug certainly had that strength! Smaug-toasting-Bilbo-gaining-ring=one badass dragon with the power of a maiar.....nasty thought :P:

Return to “The Hobbit”