Beorn

Ungoliant

Beorn

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hmm. Can't remember - although I do recall reading an article about that before. Let me see if I can dig it up.

chikakat

Beorn

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In Chapter 7..."Queer Lodgings"...

Some say that he is a bear descended from the great and ancient bears of the mountains that lived there before the giants came . Others say that he is a man descended from the first men who lived before Smaug or the other dragons came into this part of the wrold, and before the goblins came into the hills out of the North. I cannot say, though I fancy the last is the true tale. he is not the sort of person to ask questions of....

...he keeps cattle and horses which are nearly as marvelous as himself. They work for him and talk to him. He does not eat them; neither does he hunt or eat wil animal. he keep hives and hives of great fierce bees, and lives most on cream and honey. As a bear he ranges far and wide.

I swear I remember somewhere someone saying something about him being the last of his species, but I can't find it...

grondmaster

Beorn

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I remember we ran this up the flag pole in one of our previous incarnations, but don't remember how it came out. I think there was someone in the Silmarillion who I suggested Beorn was descended from, but that was pooh-poohed, being merely a simularity in names.
'Share and enjoy'

TomBombadillo

Beorn

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ta Chika, I knew I read it somewhere too, but I don't have The Hobbit here, and I wasn't sure at all. :)
Is he not a bit like the Ents, being alone, living next to (or in) a queer forest, being the last of his species (???)
:D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

Beorn

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, we did say you were very wrong grondy!
I think he's one of those things that just doesn't fit into the big picture (lot of it in The Hobbit) cos it was never originally intended to be a chronicle of Middle Earth, merely a nice little story.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Beorn

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Maybe. But maybe that's why I liked the hobbit so much I started reading LOTR, only to find out it was much different, but yet just as good (a lot better, if I'm honest). :)
I liked Beorn. He's really cuddly. :D

PlasticSquirrel

Beorn

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Lotr is SOOOOOO much better it's unbelievable. And Beorn ain't that cuddly, he could take your head off with one swipe!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

TomBombadillo

Beorn

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

NOOOO! You just spoiled my illusion!!! ;)
No, really. I know, but he's a nice cuddly character. With all these mysterious things around him, and he has a funny character too. And as I was trying to say: LOTR is indeed a great lot better than "hobbit", but once you have read the hobbit, you want to read more. So wadda you do? You read LOTR. To find out it's 10 times better. :)

Ungoliant

Beorn

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think so. Beorn's descendants were skin changers too, but since I still haven't received my books back, I can't quote from the Appendices. Anyone?

[Edited on 2/1/2002 by Ungoliant]

Ungoliant

Beorn

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Right, here's the link to the article

[email]http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/tolkien/31767 [/email]

I think no one knows where he came from, but some think that Beorn was the first of his kind, not the last. How did he get his abilities? Dunno, maybe he had Elven blood too?

Return to “The Hobbit”