Reliving the magic

odette

Reliving the magic

Post#1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 am

Now that the movies are on a roll(let's keep our hairy toes and pointy ears crossed) how many of you are going to re-read the book,that is The Hobbit?I started last week,in a cosy corner of my college library and once the exams are over I hope to make some time and finish it.It was so absorbing and awesome,like back when I read it for the first time and I had a hard time putting it down.So for people unlike lucky-Leelee(who has family book reading sessions of The Hobbit:):)) how many of you are going to be reliving The Hobbit before the movie releases?

odette

Reliving the magic

Post#2 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 am

Dum dee dum

alana

Reliving the magic

Post#3 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 am

Oh yes, Odette...def going to re-read this....(How lucky is LeeLee to have family book reading sessions!!....)...you know this book is really deep....what do you think of Bilbo's decision to basically steal the Arkenstone....??.....Well, it is quite clear Thorin saw it as a betrayal......but Gandalf congratulated Bilbo.....i think Bilbo was right to do it...but , oh dear, I dont think i could have done it.....what do you think??.....

brego

Reliving the magic

Post#4 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:54 pm

I always seem to be reading something from Tolkien......  Cant wait for the films and hopeing that they stick to the written materials as much as possible.

leelee

Reliving the magic

Post#5 » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 am

Well, we can hope Brego, there is always hope.

I am torn about the taking of the Arkenstone. Personally, if I knew how much, how terribly much it meant to Thorin I should not have touched it with a ten foot pole except to retrieve it and give it to him. After all it was not as if Bilbo was a part of the history and emotion that was the Arkenstone. his people did not suffer or toil, to me it was simply not his right, whatever Gandalf said. But Gandalf having said those words at all tells me that in the end it somehow had to do with the wishes of Illuvatar and so what was, was.

brego

Reliving the magic

Post#6 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:43 pm

I agree Lee Lee. However I think that Bilbo probably meant for it to be some type of bargaining chip to be used to broker some kind of peace between the other free folk.  The greed awakened in the Dwarves after seeing so much of there previous wealth scared Bilbo.  I think Bilbo realised as soon as he witnessed the change in the Dwarves demeanor that action would need to be taken if a peacful outcome was to be achieved.  Then of course the Orc gang came along...

I wander how the design of the Arkenstone is coming along and what it will look like...  Sad that the stone now lies hidden under the mountain lying in state on poor old Thorin's chest.  Makes me sad.

odette

Reliving the magic

Post#7 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:04 am

I admit that what Bilbo did was slightly wrong but it was Thorin's stubborn and changed behavior which drove him to do it.And Bilbo knew that Thorin desired nothing more than the Arkenstone,so what better to use to blackmail him into a treaty.

I think Bard and his people deserved a share but not the Woodland Elves.I don't  like them at all.

LadyAlyss

Reliving the magic

Post#8 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 am

I absolutely agree Odette, but everyone has there own opinion

Amarië

Reliving the magic

Post#9 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 am

I have decided not to re-read the Hobbit until I have seen the movie. I am a purist and it is best that the details about what really happens (meaning: what happens in the book) is a bit blurry. That way I might not be so annoyed about the changes that PJ are bound to make. ;)

I am really really really looking forward to seeing Mikael Persbrandt as Beorn. He is fierce! 

"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

odette

Reliving the magic

Post#10 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Yes Amarie I agreeblush,but I was way too blurry having read the book almost 10 years back,had to go through it.

I remembered only bits about Beorn and the Dwarves and Smaug and nothing else.Pathetic.

What really surprised me was the magnetism of the book.I read it when I was 11 and now that I read it again I still got so happy and energized.

Do I have problems or does the book wield such serious magic for everyone?

I can't wait to see Beorn and the Eagles and that Bilbo-Gollum riddle scene...

Return to “The Hobbit”