Galadriel's Mirror

virumor

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the water of Galadriel's Mirror is just regular, mate. It comes indeed out of a spring. I think the recipient in which Galadriel puts the water contains the magic and turns it into a mirror.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Down a long flight of steps the Lady went into the deep green hollow, theough which ran murmuring the silver stream that issued from the fountain on the hill. At the bottom, upon a low pedestal carved like a branching tree, stood a basin of silver, wide and shallow, and beside it stood a silver ewer.

With water from the stream Galadriel filled the basin to the brim, and breathed on it, and when the water was still again she spoke. 'Here is the Mirror of Galadriel,' she said. 'I have brought you here so that you may look in it, if you will.'

- Fellowship of the Ring, 'The Mirror of Galadriel'
'Share and enjoy'

Beleg_Strongbow

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

So let me see if I have this right:

The water of Galadriel's mirror is normal, but when she breathes on it it becomes something special? :( :blues: :verysad: I am kinda confused.

grondmaster

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

... I think the recipient in which Galadriel puts the water contains the magic and turns it into a mirror.
If you change Virumor's "recipient" to "receptical", it may make more sense; Galadriel's breath maybe is more of a catalyst. Elven magic is hard to explain using when the scientific knowledge of men. :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

Beleg_Strongbow

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Was Galadriel a sorceress? :question:

Findekano

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No, she was not a witch/sorceress-Tolkien would be deeply offended by that! :funnylaugh:

Val- is Virumor a play on words of the miruvor, the srink given by the Valar to the Fellowship? If so I don't ever remeber hearing that it had any foretelling abilities but it was a drink served in Valarin feasts and its anme means I think 'cordial of the Valar' though that is stemming from it's much longer, unkwown Valarin word for it.

Beleg_Strongbow

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

So Galadriel wasn't a sorceress, but she has a magic mirror? (mirror mirror on the wall, is sauron coming, after all?) And why then would she get a reputation with others of being "an elf witch," as Gimli says? I'm sorry. I kinda get it, but I don't. :sad:

Findekano

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Men and Dwarves often wrongly misinterpreted hearsay etc. Galadriel was obviosuly 'well-known' or had quite a large reputation. Look at it this way, men had come to fear Elves, as attributed by Faramir to Frodo and Sam, or rather were afraid of them. Therfore they would make up stories about the sorceress of the golden wood etc, depicting Galadriel was a witch-like charcater (Eomer was hinting at this but was rightly re-buked by Gimli) so their fear or misunderstanding led them to believe she was a sorceress of divine power (Note Eorl's words to the marching army of the Northmen in Unfinished Tale after she drives away Saurons mists).

virumor

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well let's say she isn't a sorceress/witch - that sounds too pejorative. (although i'm pretty sure Sauron would call her a sorceress and Galadriel would call Sauron a sorcerer :p)

But she is able to do magic things, like Gandalf or Elrond because she is the bearer of Nenya so she wields a great power.

I don't know how she did that trick with the Mirror though but in my opinion all Elves are able to do magic - after all, they are the only ones of the Eruhir who have some of the power of the Ainur (magic).

It's also mentioned they put their thoughts into everything they make (like with the Lorien cloaks) === magic ?

Findekano : my nick is an anagram to miruvor (the drink the Fellowship recieved at Rivendell). And in my opinion not the water (it was just regular water taken from a fountain) but the recipient/box/round thing/whatever it's called in English causes the water to turn magical.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

grondmaster

Galadriel's Mirror

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The word Tolkien used in the book is "basin".
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”