Your "Shire"

Your "Shire"

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mata Mata, New Zealand, for obvious reasons :cool:

Your "Shire"

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

For me, the closest "Shire" experience has been in Wonthaggi, a rural South-Gippsland town in Victoria, Australia.

The countryside is as close to English as anywhere in Australia - very green and hilly. The people are sturdy and take a no-nonsense approach to life. They are fiercely protective of their homes, and immensely proud of their achievements. They don't like outsiders and they have a tendancy to think that their "Shire" is the whole world.

I lived their for two, long years.
"May the Angels Guide"

Your "Shire"

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I live in Devonshire, England, 'nuf said. ;) for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Your "Shire"

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I live in America, Iowa.In the country untop of a large hill, so I am living in my own little "shire" ;) . I like to go horse back riding and work on training my foal, chase around cows, give a 'lil TLC to my(our) 4 cats, kick around the roosters to keep them in there place and show 'em whos boss ;)
And on Saturdays I work in the garden, which it ain't my garden but Mom makes sure I get it done non-the-less,& also sweep the porch and walk way.
I could go on, but I dont know if this is what the forums about. :P:
Well thats my "shire"!
I was born to catch dragons in their dens
And pick flowers
To tell tales and laugh away the morning
To drift and dream like a lazy stream
And walk barefoot across sunshine days.

Your "Shire"

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I live in Devonshire, England, 'nuf said.
16 miles up the road from where I lived in Boston are the Lincolnshire Wolds. These gently rolling hills are the Shire; the indigenous population have never ventured beyond its borders, and each farm is occupied by a farmer Maggot (Get off my land!!!!). Here they still use stones and pounds, and trade in shillings and farthings. People still huddle around their beers in the local taverns, greeting strangers with ghostly silence, and like the Shire, have no hope of getting Broadband. An old Numenorian fortress now lies in ruin on a hillside, once home to a King (Henry IV Bolinbroke), while Swarvy Men are now encroaching on the borders from a distant land across the sea.

Your "Shire"

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm going to build my own little shire! Well, at least that is the plan, it propbably won't happen in many namy years, but I want a hobbit house that is all mine! It would be SO great to build it as a cabin somewhere and spend hollidays there, but it is most likely going to be a small house on (or in) the sheep field next to our house on the farm my boyfriend will be taking over from his grandfather. Maybe it could work as a little guest houseif needed? One day.. you'll see.. it will be so perfect! *drifts away into dreams*
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Your "Shire"

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's beautiful Andrea. (I know that sounds really strange to say, but I think it was beautiful).
I think that in terrms of the atmosphere, the small island I live on is like the Shire. We are friendly but have a certain disregard for the outside world. Landscape-wise the pictures I see of Ireland are very shire-like as well as some picture I've seen of the Czech Republic.

Your "Shire"

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My "Shire"? As in the most happy and peaceful place ever?
I have no idea...I haven´t travel anywhere outside Skandinavia:P: but I doubt that I (as men in Tolkien´s world) will find rest in this world since I believe that it is something that compells me to go beyond it.....or something like that:P:
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”