I finished the series

Boring

I finished the series

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Wow, congratulations!!! Well now you can toss it away for another year or so.

so what impression did it leave you with?

swampfaye

I finished the series

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I would put it on my "recommended" fantasy read list, mostly because it is so influencial in the fantasy genre and you can hardly go to any discussion board without coming accross it. Let's just say it's like recommending a Christian read the Old Testament before trying to understand the New Testament. I still think it is excessively wordy with several repetative parts, but the dialog is quite good (except toward the end when no one really has much to say but the hobbits). I still prefer the "Hobbit" and I don't think I could recommend LOTR to juvenile readers just getting into fantasy. It may be a bit discouraging.

TomBombadillo

I finished the series

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Right there, faye. I always tell people to start with the hobbit, before they give LOTR a try. If they don't really like the hobbit, they won't like LOTR either... :)

Btw: congrats! :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

gnampie

I finished the series

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I only recently discovered the Tolkien-world myself and I am very fond of it!
Last year I started with reading LOTR in Dutch. After seing the movie, I read The Hobbit (in English). Now I am reading LOTR again but in English this time. And The Simarillion (hope I spell it right) is waiting. Sometimes I find it hard to understand the descriptions of landscape, cloths, plants in English. Difficult words are used sometimes. Still, the dialogs are better in English.

swampfaye

I finished the series

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I find it hard to understand the descriptions of landscape, cloths, plants in English. Difficult words are used sometimes.

I find it hard to read in English too :D
If that's any consolation to you - LOL

Boring

I finished the series

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah Ennglish is better, but with difficulties with the meaning of words just write them down and look on the internet (e.g. http://www.allwords.com) or in your dictionary for the translations and write them down also.

I've read The Hobbit in dutch too but i found the translation lame and childish so I've only read LotR in english and, which was quite hard, but mostly with the surrounding text (context) i got the point.

Eryan

I finished the series

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

A good way of enjoying Tolkien when you are not proficient in English is to have both a copy of its transaltion into one's native speech, and its English text. Then you are opening both of them and if you can't understand English, you just switch to the translated version. And it also helps a lot to learn English... and in such a pleasant way!
However, Tolkien is NOT written in modern English and if you will learn English from LOTR and then start to speak to ordinary people like Eomer or Faramir... well, you will sound quite strange! This happened to me... and I'm still not entirely at ease with modern English expresssions.
For instance, what does that mean, LOL? Everybody is using that expression here and I'm feeling more and more foolish because I can't get its meaning!
Another silly question: I always thought that a PC is simply a "personal computer" - but apparently this can also be an insult... and I cannot somehow imagine that anybody could insult anyone by calling him a "personal computer" (although my opinion about personal computers is not very high!.)
Is PC a "pig chauvinist" (my guess...) or am I totally stupid?
Good people, help a poor stranger to understand you better! :)[Edited on 20/2/2002 by Eryan]

Ungoliant

I finished the series

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

LOL!

Not laughing at you though, just thought your interpretation of pc was funny. :D

LOL means 'Laugh out Loud', and rofl (roll on the floor laughing). Chika put up a list of cyberspeak terms in one of the tavern if you want more info.

PC = politically correct/political correctness. Annoying bunch of twats. Dunno why I seem to have a negative reaction to them.

Eryan

I finished the series

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

LOL
ROFL
LOL
ROFL

Thank you Ungoliant :) :D

I see now that I was a complete idiot!!!!

grondmaster

I finished the series

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No you weren't Eryan, even I had to have them explained last year when I found this place, my first forum. And remember, it is when you don't ask that you remain an idiot, bothering to ask means you care enough to learn. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”