Favourite Bits

grondmaster

Favourite Bits

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

"And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the City a cock crowed. Shrill and clear he crowed, recking nothing of wizardry or war, welcoming only the morning that in the sky far above the shadows of death was coming with the dawn.

And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."
From 'Return of the King', Book V, at the end of Chapter 4.
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

Favourite Bits

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

One of my favorites, occurs at their last overnight rest on the approach to Shelob's lair, where Sam says:
'And people will say: "Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring!" And they'll say: "Yes, that's one of my favorite stories. Frodo was very brave, wasn't he dad?" "Yes, my boy, the famousest of the hobbits, and that's saying a lot."'
Followed a short time later by Frodo saying:
'But you have left out one of the chief characters: Samwise the stout-hearted. "I want to hear more about Sam, dad. Why didn't they put in more of his talk, dad? That's what I like, it makess me laugh. And Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam, would he, dad?"'
Sadly, this part is followed later by Frodo saying:
'...You and I, Sam, are still stuck in the worst places of the story, and it is all too likely that some will say at this point: "Shut the book now, dad; we don't want to read any more." "Maybe." said Sam, "but I wouldn't be one to say that. Things done and over and made into part of the great tales are different."'
Happily, the story was finalized on the Field of Cormallen, in the "Lay of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom". *reading
'Share and enjoy'

Boring

Favourite Bits

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My favorite part was that frodo sat sail into the west and sam was left behind.. it really set tears to my eye's .... sniff...

And ffcourse it was signalling the end of the story :)

PlasticSquirrel

Favourite Bits

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Frodo of the nine fingers, immortalised by bloody Glen Yarborough!
The best bit is without doubt the sentence..
"When Mr Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton."
Because it means you've still got the rest of the book to go!
That or Legolas and Gimli doing their head counts, or perhaps Boromir saying "If by my life or death I can aid you, I will."
*Plastic
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ungoliant

Favourite Bits

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Cheers Grondy! I knew I could count on you! *drink

Oooh yes! Forgot about the headcount bit! That was nice too. How about the bit when Eowyn slays the Witch King/death of Theoden? That got me blubbering like a baby. *ungoliant

sauron

Favourite Bits

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The dark lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made, and the magnitude of his folly was revealed to him, in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.
From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, waivered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and the purpose of the Power that wielded them, was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain, At hs summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgûl, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom.

- amazing

PlasticSquirrel

Favourite Bits

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And then he snuffed it and never came back, amI right, or am I right Sauron?
*Plastic

grondmaster

Favourite Bits

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I wasn't even going to touch this one, but since The Skwerl did, l will add my two cents worth. :D

See, even Sauron knew it would be curtains forever, were his ring thrown down the tube. :cool:

[Edited on 23/12/2001 by Grondmaster]
'Share and enjoy'

sauron

Favourite Bits

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

well that paragraph gives everyone the assumption that Sauron is most certainly dead, as one small Hobbit who was scared to step out of even the Shire, comes all the way across Middle-Earth to the darkest place ever, to the darkest tower ever, a few hundred metres away from the Darkest Evil Guy ever.....and successfully manages to chuck his ring into the boiling lava thing.
......but as u can see, im still alive and kicking! i will get u, Frodo [he's already dead rite? what happens when they goto the Haven?]

PlasticSquirrel

Favourite Bits

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

No idea, I expect he's dead though. And I hate to tell you this, but you're not the real Sauron. He's not real!

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”