Topic, quotes & discussion

grondmaster

Post#51 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:37 pm

'Wormyongue!' called Frodo. 'You need not follow him. I know of no evil you have done to me. You can have rest and food here fo a while, until you are stronger and can go your own ways.'
Of course that was before Frodo learned from Saruman, that Grima had killed and possibly eaten "Pimple" (Frodo's cousin, Lotho Sackville-Baggins), but even after Grima killed Saruman, Frodo wouldn't have wanted Grima killed; he just couldn't get his tongue engaged quick enough to stop it.
'Share and enjoy'

Etharion

Post#52 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:06 pm

Yes, i too think Gollum received the most compassion.

Amarië

Post#53 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:24 am

Wanted to post yesterday, but a short power failure seems to have messed up the computers at home. Yeeeey......

I'm sorry Vee, I should have added quite a few smileys to show I wasn't trying to be mean. :( You are doing a good job as goddess and CM.

I just wanted to point out that quite a few people do NOT have an english copy of the lotr and therefore would be forced to translate it themselves to abide with your repeated demand for quotes. Or maybe they are just to lazy to type in the quote. Or, like me, both of the above. I would think a desciption of what happens is good enough, as it has been done before in here. Now if I had said it like that in the first place instead of trying to be funny... It's what happens since both keep joking around with each other. It is all fun and games until someone gets hurts, like dad used to say. Well it is a translated version of it anyway. ;)

The language is English, the creator is Irish, but the members are from all over the world. I just don't want to see anyone excluded from a good discussion, intentionally or unintentionally, that's all. It is very un-Tolkien too. The Fellowship was formed in Rivendell, and they spoke the Common Tongue (Westron?), but it consisted of all races that Eru gave life too.

Gollum is a creapy, crawly, pityful thing who talkes to himself and lives in a dark, wet cave feeding on orcs and slimy fish. But he was once a little hobbit(like) fellow like Frodo and Sam, running with bare feet in the grass under the sun. Compassion is a good thing and shows you are capable of seeing the world from a different perspective and are able and willing to put yourself in someone elses situation.
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

Vee

Post#54 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:46 am

I just don't want to see anyone excluded from a good discussion, intentionally or unintentionally, that's all.

Yes, I know. And it's OK. I was just trying to get the discussion going a bit more. If people don't have the English translation handy then all they have to do is say an approximation of the quote they mean and where it is said and I would be happy to look it up andpost it for them as part of the interest I have in this thread is the quotes that quantify each topic.

I suppose, judging by the excellent English spoken by the many non-English speaking members here, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking everyone has the books in English. I could post half a doxen quotes on the subject of Compassion myself but where is the fun in that? I want others to join in and give their views. So - if you don't have the quote to hand in English please feel free to do as I suggest above and I will provide the quote.

Wanted to post yesterday, but a short power failure seems to have messed up the computers at home.

And you thought that power cut was an mere accident? Mwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Amarië

Post#55 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:02 am

And you thought that power cut was an mere accident? Mwahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Should have know... But something always starts to act funny just before Ray comes home, usually one of the cars, didn't suspect you this time. Well it was a very short power failure, just a blink. Maybe it was my goddess-in-training powers that made it so that the computer I sat infront (my presiousss) didn't fall out, but the TV did, and the server in the other room. Hopefully Ray can fix it when he comes home tonight.

The Goddess Vees Monologues On Compassion, now that is a good title for a book! :read:

Amarië

Post#56 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:18 am

Yes compassion, that was the topic. Gandalf has compassion for all of Erus children (humans, dwarves... and Gollum), he brings news and warnings even where he is not welcome, he dies to save the others in Moria, he creates fireworks to amuse the hobbits, he helps and he guides and he explains and he yells, like a father.

rhapsody

Post#57 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:14 am

Compassion...

I do love this one...

"If I stayed beside you, love would lead me, not wisdom.”

Beleg Cúthalion to Túrin Turambar, The Silmarillion, the Tale of Túrin Turambar.

I think of all the tales in the Silmarillion, Beleg Cúthalion got to me the most.

And another one is that Maglor, after the kinslaying of Sirion took pity upon Elrond and Elros.

For Maglor took pity upon Elros and Elrond, and he cherished them, and love grew after between them, as little might be thought; but Maglor's heart was sick and Weary with the burden of the dreadful Oath.
Of the Voyage of Eärendil, The Silmarillion, p.297

Vee

Post#58 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:44 am

The topic is swords.

Firstly - Anduril, Aragorn's sword.

In The King of the Golden Hall, The Two Towers, Aragorn says:

In this elvish sheath dwells the Blade that was Broken and has been made again. Telchar first wrought it in the deeps of time.] Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.

It is the sentence I have highlighted in bold that interests me. Was this a threat from Aragorn - touch my sword and I will kill you - or is there some elven craft forged in it that would bring death by some means to anyone who draws it other than Elendhil's heir?

grondmaster

Post#59 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:08 pm

Death shall come to any man that draws Elendil's sword save Elendil's heir.
Well, if you just take it at face value, it is entirely true with the exception of Aragorn, in whose case it is entirely false. ' Why would that be,' you might ask? Because all Men are mortal; we all shall die in the end.

However, I don't think that was the intent of Aragorn. He wasn't offering a warning about any Elven curse that had been laid upon Anduril, but was issuing a personal threatening oath to any in hearing who would touch it, not to on pain of death. Though, if they took it the other way, so much the better.

Now, had the sheath also been that of Narsil, Elendil's sword from whose shards Anduril arose, and not a parting gift of Celeborn and Galadriel, there may have been a curse. However, the only prophesy involved was the one Galadriel made at the gift giving: "The blade that is drawn from this sheath shall not be stained or broken even in defeat." - from 'Farewell to Lorien' , Chapter 8, Book II, FotR

Even when he summoned the Oathbreakers from the Morthond to the Stone of Erech, Aragorn didn't brandish the sword before them. Though just having it with him must have enhanced his kingly bearing enough that they knew he was Isildur's heir; and the unfurling of Arwen's banner in the darkness at the Stone, must have ratified the fact.

Another of Aragorn's oaths concerning Anduril, the Flame of the West, was when he actually did brandish it glittering in the sun, two days before they left Minas Tirith on their ride to the Black Gate. Then he said, "You shall not be sheathed again until the last battle is fought." - from 'The Last Debate' Chapter 9, book V, RotK.

I have gotten slightly off topic here and the above is just my humble opinion. Maybe one of Elrond's Elven sword forgers actually did lay a curse on the blade as they were reforging it. What do you think?
'Share and enjoy'

virumor

Post#60 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:35 pm

Well if Aragorn says anyone who's not Isildur's heir and pulls it, will die, then that person will die. Don't know how exactly, but that person will die.

Don't forget that Narsil was forged in the first age, by Telchar, and in the first age some weapons were really special : there were even talking swords. So if that is possible, then it should be possible as well for Aragorn having a lightsabre which can only be wielded by him alone.

Elfies and Dwarfies make very special weapons, that's just the way it is.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”