Greatest Deed

Stonehelm

Greatest Deed

Post#1 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:22 am

I thought of this yesterday. Which deed in the Sil and LoTR do you think is the greatest. We talk a lot about Frodo and the Ring, but what of the other brave acts that others did?

Beren and Luthien taking the jewels from Morgoth's crown. Turin slaying the dragon. Elendil sailing across the sea to plead with the Valar. Isildur saving a fruit from the Tree. Gil-Galad and Elendil wrestling with Sauron.

The list goes on and on, is their one heroic act that stands out above the rest?
I will never raise the white flag.

terrijayne

Greatest Deed

Post#2 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:11 am

Good question, Stonehelm. I always thought that Merry striking the Nazgul's leg in order to save Eowyn was very heroic. Especially since hobbits were not raised to be warriors. I think his devotion to Eowyn gave him the determination to overcome his natural fears. To me this was Merry's defining moment in the books, the moment when he grew beyond his hobbit upbringing.

For Pippin it was when he saved Faramir from being roasted and toasted during Denthor's meltdown.

valedhelgwath

Greatest Deed

Post#3 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:27 pm

I think you have named most of my favourites, Stoney, though it was Earendil who sailed into the West, not Elendil.

One you have missed is Fingolfin's single combat against Morgoth. It always used to be my favourite heroic act, but in recent years I have come to believe Fingolfin acted out of grief and dispair as much as bravery. To name one act, I think I would have to go with Beren and Luthien's quest to retrieve a Silmaril from Morgoth's crown.

grondmaster

Greatest Deed

Post#4 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:18 pm

How about Lúthien and Huan entering Angband in order to rescue Beren? Their battle on the bridge against the werewolves and Sauron certainly wasn't for the meek-at-heart.
'Share and enjoy'

Etharion

Greatest Deed

Post#5 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:40 pm

Aye aye.(that was my pirate talk if your wondering)
Another one is when Echtelion, guarding Gondolin during the siege ,slays Gothmog Lord of the Balrogs.

Stonehelm

Greatest Deed

Post#6 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:31 am

Earendil, that's right, I always get them mixed up.

I think we can add Gandalf's stand against the Balrog on the bridge of Khazad-Dum to our list. That was a deed that not many could achieve.

But personally I agree with Grondy. I think the quest and acts that followed by Beren and Luthien overshadow many others. They got the better of Morgoth and Sauron, no one but the Valar were able to that.
I will never raise the white flag.

melian

Greatest Deed

Post#7 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:35 pm

One of my favorites was when Fingon rescued Maedros from Thangorodrim. When he found Maedros and it looked like rescue was impossible, Fingon was prepared to shoot him with an arrow to end his suffering.

Vee

Greatest Deed

Post#8 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:18 am

It is difficult to take just one 'deed' and say this is the greatest. There are many acts of heroism in Tolkien's books so here's one Ithink is an act of heroism, maybe not the greatest, but heroic nonetheless.

At the Council of Elrond Frodo steps forth and says he will take the Ring to Mordor. He knows little of the evils of Sauron, knows little about the other races, knows almost nothing about the rest of Middle-earth yet he (maybe in ignorance) says he will do this thing. From then on his life focuses on one thing - to get the Ring to Mount Doom and destroy it. He is no warrior, he is a hobbit. He has no training in fighting, yet he volunteers to do this. Other than BIlbo, he was the only one to volunteer.

I think that was pretty heroic.

bugyfeanor

Greatest Deed

Post#9 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:01 pm

I've got two favourite ones: Finwe, the only one to stay and face Melkor in front of Formenos (while Ungoliant was with him! that must've been scary); and Feanor, surrounded by Balrogs (shadows & flames), yet not giving up, fighting til the end!
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

Peredhil

Greatest Deed

Post#10 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:37 am

Beren and Luthien take the title for me.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”