Moria

floyd_n_milan

Moria

Post#1 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:42 am

I wonder, what was so scary and evil about the Mines Of Moria. I read in the book that even Aragorn said that he'd been through there once and he had a bad memory of it.

Can anyone tell me about the history of Moria?? If possible, since the days of Durin.

And, by the way, Balin did try to make it worth living again, didn't he? Was it just the Orcs that killed those Drarves or was it also the Balrog?

And where did this Balrog come from??

Somebody answer me!!!

valedhelgwath

Moria

Post#2 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:44 pm

Another post from Floyd requiring a long answer. I'll do my best to answer a few of your questions, but I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

I wonder, what was so scary and evil about the Mines Of Moria. I read in the book that even Aragorn said that he'd been through there once and he had a bad memory of it.

I think after being abandoned by the Dwarves, Moria would have been a dark and frightening place. Confusing passages disappearing deep underground, and possibly crawling with orcs. It wouldn't have been pleasant. And do not forget the aura of the Balrog.

Can anyone tell me about the history of Moria?? If possible, since the days of Durin.

I'll save this for someone with a little more time. It was discovered by Durin early in the First Age, however, and became the greatest of the Dwarven Halls. Moria was the only known source of Mithril, and so those who lived there became fabulously rich, particularly during the Second Age when the Noldor city of Ost-en-edhel was built at its west gate. The Dwarves dug too deep for Mithril, however, and released the Balrog from the caverns in which had been trapped since the Great Battle against Morgoth at the end of the First Age. The rest was history. It and its Orc minions drove out the Dwarves.

And, by the way, Balin did try to make it worth living again, didn't he? Was it just the Orcs that killed those Drarves or was it also the Balrog?

I wrote a short story about this entitled "Balin's Folly", which can be found in the Fan Fiction section on the left. I used a little poetic licence, but most of the story is based around events Tolkien had written.

And where did this Balrog come from??

At the end of the First Age there was a huge battle between the forces of good and evil. As well as sinking a huge section of Western Middle Earth (Beleriand) below the ocean, a lone fleeing Balrog became trapped in a cavern deep in the roots of the Misty Mountains. It was this same beastie the Dwarves released when they dug too deep while mining for Mithril.

Somebody answer me!!!

Okay :)

Etharion

Moria

Post#3 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:47 pm

I can just be thankfull for people like Valedhelgwath. He is one of the few who take great interest in explaining to others things in fine details. Alas i am to lazy to do so. And i dont have enough time.

virumor

Moria

Post#4 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:49 pm

Yes, i'd just tell those ppl to go and read the books. Everything you could possibly ask yourself is in there.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

floyd_n_milan

Moria

Post#5 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:09 am

But who created the Balrog in the first place? Who and why would want to create such a beast?

Stonehelm

Moria

Post#6 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:30 am

The Balrogs were spirits, Meia, like Gandalf, created by Eru.

There were some of them that were corrupted by Morgoth and turned into the demons of fire you read about in the books.
I will never raise the white flag.

Vee

Moria

Post#7 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:21 am

The Silmarillion will give you a lot of answers to these questions. It gives background to the events and people before and including the War of the Rings.

floyd_n_milan

Moria

Post#8 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:26 am

Unfortunately, I do not have the Silmarillion

floyd_n_milan

Moria

Post#9 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:14 pm

Thank you for that Terri

floyd_n_milan

Moria

Post#10 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:21 pm

I would have thought that this thread would end here, but wait.

Why and when had Aragorn gone into Moria before he did with the Fellowship???

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”