Did Frodo fail?

Post#52 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:52 pm

He did both.

Or neither.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Lord Of All

Did Frodo fail?

Post#53 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:00 pm

His quest was that HE should destroy the Ring. He only brought it to where it COULD be destroyed. He did not do it himself. Thus I think he failed.

leelee

Did Frodo fail?

Post#54 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:29 am

Considering the facts as Gandalf told Frodo in the kitchen when he began to worry over the ring Bilbo passed on to Frodo though reluctantly, considering that Gandalf himself did not wish to touch it, and considering that Elrond and the council knew that it was pretty much an impossible task after Isildur failed to throw it into the fires of Mordor when its maker was now defrocked as it were, I think Frodo did splendidly. He was not strong, nor knew any 'magic' to help him along. He was gentle, had never been far from his two homes in all his life. He had n othing to recommend him except a kind heart that bid him be responsible and take the ring from his beloved Shire to protect and save it and his fellows there. He was constantly worn out with fear, with fighting Sauron whose thoughts were bent toward the ring making it a never ending torment upon his mind and body. If the nine once super kings fell, if the powerful and obstinate dwarves fell, if some of the astari failed their missions, all but Gandalf that is, I am not positive about Radagast the Brown, then why such huge and unfair expectations upon a small frightened Hobbit. He did all he had the strength to do, over and over and even when he thought he was finished he somehow found the strength to go on just that little more. To show his absolutely distraught and almost mind numbing fear and weariness he replied to Sam at one point that h e could no longer even envision the Shire or the simple pleasures held within. He was like one in a dream he could not get out of, he was like one who has been wounded unto death and is feverish and rambling and in a delirium. How he could have done better I have no idea. To me this humble little Hobbit was a giant of a hero.

Lord Of All

Did Frodo fail?

Post#55 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:15 pm

Nobody is doubting that Frodo did not do well, better indeed than all others at that time might have hoped to achieve. But he didn't complete his task to the bitter end. At the very last moment he wielded to the ever burdensome temptation and finally succumbed to the Rings Will before he could complete his task. Thus he did fail, but not by that much.

virumor

Did Frodo fail?

Post#56 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm

He was not strong, nor knew any 'magic' to help him along.

Safe for the Phial of Galadriel and Sting (not the singer). Without those magically imbued artifacts he and Master Gamgee would've hung next to Ufthák in Shelob's pantry.

How he could have done better I have no idea.

What about throwing the Ring into the Sammath Naur?

grondmaster

Did Frodo fail?

Post#57 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:13 pm

How he could have done better I have no idea.

What about throwing the Ring into the Sammath Naur?

Frodo did his best just getting the Ring to the Crack of Doom; it was his and Bilbo's mercy that allowed Gollum to be there; it was Gollum's greed that bit the Ring from Frodo; and Eru's justice (banana peel or tiny pebble) that finally finished the job.
'Share and enjoy'

leelee

Did Frodo fail?

Post#58 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:27 pm

You are correct Vir about the phial from Galadriel, however I was referring to anything within himself that would have given him more strength as when Gandalf used his staff or said mysterious words, that sort of thing. And I must disagree that he would have been finished without that, it was obvious that the 'higher' powers that were watching over the whole thing gave him that through Galadriel. If not that something else would have come along or happened to bring remedy, some relief and tiny victory in that. After all no matter how strong, cunning, how wise, Sauron and his minions could never outwit Illuvatar and really I think it was Him that was in charge of the whole drama.He seemed to allow total freedom of speach and movement and thought but not to the extent of allowing evil to completely dominant and destroy that which He was responsible for making in the beginning.

virumor

Did Frodo fail?

Post#59 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:02 pm

After all no matter how strong, cunning, how wise, Sauron and his minions could never outwit Illuvatar and really I think it was Him that was in charge of the whole drama.

Indeed. And that is the reason why all evil is utterly pointless and useless, as all evil does is for ever losing and failing until the bitter end.

Lord Of All

Did Frodo fail?

Post#60 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:10 am

Which would seem to indicate that Eru has already set the Worlds fate beforehand...

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”