Changing LOTR

grondmaster

Changing LOTR

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I entirely agree, Eryan. That is also why I like prose over poetry.
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Changing LOTR

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Get rid of Sam, he's a pillock. And make Sauron a more visible bad guy so's we get a decent showdown at the end, James Bond stylee. :D
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

gnampie

Changing LOTR

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ok, here we go again! (Plastic's comment on Sam was the reason why I joined this forum in the first place) ;)

I would leave Sam in. Why? You can find more than enough reasons in the Sam-section of 'characters'. No need to repeat them here.

But Plast, if you want Sam out, how on (Middle) Earth is Frodo supposed to reach Mount Doom? How would you change that?

TomBombadillo

Changing LOTR

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Plastic will find a way, believe me. But I'd leave Sam in too. Who would I leave out, let's see... Don't know really. I don't think I'd leave anything out, everything is too necessary, if you know what I mean. :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

Changing LOTR

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Psssst... I'll let you all in on a secret, I don't hate Sam that much, I just love you guys when you react to it.
And Frodo would be dragged to Mount Doom by Gollum, who he would control through the power of the ring, now THAT would be a story worth telling...

gnampie

Changing LOTR

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hey Plast, what a relief! So there is still some hope for you! :hahaha:

Why don't you give your new ending a shot in the Writers Guild? Eryan opend a topic there about imagining new plots in the Tolkien world. I would surely like to read it.

grondmaster

Changing LOTR

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Me too. :)
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Changing LOTR

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

But... but... that would mean doing some work!!!!

Allyssa

Changing LOTR

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I admit that I would like to see more of Elladan and Elrohir :inlove:

In everything, I want MORE DETAIL. I want specific descriptions of what the characters look like (eg: long nose, big round eyes, large feet, small feet, pointy ears, rounded ears, in-between ears, dimples, beards, hairdos, freckles, scars, pimples...and so on).

Now that I have gotten used to it, I kind of like the Arwen expansion thing. I think even Tolkien himself is probably viewing it and saying "Hmmm....not a bad idea. Why didn't I think of that?"

Spyderbyte, there is a class dealing specifically with Tolkien? Where do you live, so that I can move there and enrol?
"May the Angels Guide"

spydyrbyte

Changing LOTR

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I believe that Tolkien left a lot of the story (descriptionwise) to his readers on purpose. He did not subscribe to the Homeric type of writing where you have an aside for 5 pages describing a scar and how it was received when the only real reference to the scar is in the recongnition of the character by a servant and it is not important how the scar came about or anything. Tolkien's form of description appeals to readers because they have to make up their own descriptions as they go along. Now I do love "super-detailing," but there are some pieces of work that just don't need it or if they have it, it is subtle almost subconscious as are Tolkien's details.

As for your question about where I go to school. I am a student at Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, KY and am enrolled in an Honors Section on the the life and works of Tolkien and his influences. A very interesting class to say the least. There are actually two sections, one for English majors and one for those like me who just want to take the class. They are exactly the same course, but for political sakes they have to be classified under different categories.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”