Shadowfax

caudimordax

Shadowfax

Post#1 » Sun May 14, 2006 11:19 pm

Hey, I was rereading...and I came upon this.

"There is none like to Shadowfax. In him one of the mighty steeds of old has returned. None such shall return again." (Two Towers, The King of the Golden Hall, a couple pages before the end of the chapter.)

Was Shadowfax just a reincarnation of some other great horse, or what??? And if a reincarnation, what "mighty steed" returned???

virumor

Shadowfax

Post#2 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:20 am

I think that line simply means that Shadowfax was the greatest of the mearas in his time, descending from Felaróf, the steed of Eorl the Young.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

caudimordax

Shadowfax

Post#3 » Thu May 18, 2006 1:07 am

But if that is the case, then the second half doesn't fit:
"None such shall return again."

I don't know it sounds strange to me.

virumor

Shadowfax

Post#4 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:39 am

It probably means that never again such a mighty steed would roam the fields of Rohan.

Morambar

Shadowfax

Post#5 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:19 am

I think it IS just a metaphor, as Virumor says, though it's impossible to say definitively, and when a definitive statement is impossible, I don't like to make them (hint, hint to the Peanut Gallery. ) I wanna say the Maeras were originally fosterlings of Orome (or Araw, to the Rohirrim,) but don't quote me on that; I have Orome on the brain at the moment. Much of the Trilogy, it seems to me, is ancient and noble peoples whose glory is all but forgotten resurrecting that glory in its fullness one final time for the final push against the foe of millenia. I don't think Shadowfax is a Glorfindel case (though he's another fine example of this) but more like Aragorn, who wasn't The Beren Reborn, or Elendil, but much like the former in prowess and bravery and even more like the latter in wisdom, foresight and honor. I could, of course, be wrong about Shadowfax though; sometimes the words mean just what they say, and the Professor didn't choose words at random.

virumor

Shadowfax

Post#6 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 am

You are right that the mearas were animals which were brought to Middle-earth by Oromë (whom the Rohirrim call Béma).

'Araw' and 'Tauron' are both Sindarin names for Oromë, although 'Tauron' is more a title than a name.

galin

Shadowfax

Post#7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:13 am

As noted, the Mearas were the descendants of Felaróf and Men said of them that Béma must have brought their sire from West over Sea. OK, but I noticed...

... hmmm, a thread on Shadowfax with no discussion on what color he was :elfwink:

Thorin Oakenshield

Shadowfax

Post#8 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:15 am

I heard a Rohirrim minstrel singing he was colourless! Of course most people have said he was black except Gandalf who stated that he was silvery. It was this proposal which I believe first bought him into conflict with Grima and we all know how it ended and how Gandalf got his revenge!
The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

virumor

Shadowfax

Post#9 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:22 am

... hmmm, a thread on Shadowfax with no discussion on what color he was

Considering he was named "Shadow"fax, he must have been grey or black.

grondmaster

Shadowfax

Post#10 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:29 pm

During 'The Council of Elrond' FotR, while Gandalf was imparting the adventure that made him miss Frodo's birthday party, he gave the following description of Shadowfax:
'And there is one among them that might have been foaled in the morning of the world. The horses of the Nine cannot vie with him; tireless, swift as the flowing wind. Shadowfax they called him. By day his coat glistens like silver; and by night it is like a shade, and he passes unseen. Light is his footfall! Never before had any man mounted him, but I took him and tamed him...
I highlighted with bold the pertinent sentence.

So Thorin had the gist of it in his above post.
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”