The Argonath

cloveress

The Argonath

Post#1 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:19 am

I've never been quite able to figure out what the Argonath were. I know they were two giant statues of men on either side of the river. But I can't find it in the index of the lord of the rings, or the silmarillion, and I wonder who it was contructed by and who the two figure are. My guess would be Elendil and Isuldur, but I really don't know anything about the Argonath at all.

virumor

The Argonath

Post#2 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:36 am

It was Isildúr and Anarion. I believe Aragorn mentions this when the Fellowship passes them; I believe he says something in the likes of "for long I have longed to see the statues of my forefathers"... I suggest you look it up in the appropriate chapter of Fellowship of the Ring.

EDIT : the Appendices A of LOTR mention they were built in the days of King Rómendacil, according to the Encyclopedia of Arda site.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

gud daedheloth

The Argonath

Post#3 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:59 pm

I think they were built to mark the old borders of gondor

grondmaster

The Argonath

Post#4 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Yes, the Argonath on the Anduin marked the northern border of Gondor.
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

The Argonath

Post#5 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:36 am

All correct. They were statues of Isildur and Anarion built around TA 1340 at the northern entrance to a chasm called Nen Hithoel.

From The Two Towers

The Argonath were fashioned in the likeness of Isildur and Anarion: 'still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in a gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown.'

cloveress

The Argonath

Post#6 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:18 pm

Wow. Thanks for the information.

leelee

The Argonath

Post#7 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:34 pm

hullo beautiful Cloveress. I also could never quite get that right. Now I feel enriched.

halbard

The Argonath

Post#8 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:43 pm

I wonder if Gondor hired dwarves to sculpt the Argonath? :winking:

laurelome

The Argonath

Post#9 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:34 am

That's an interesting question. Though I don't think there's ever been much commerce between men and dwarves...oh wait, there was, on a regular basis- the Lonely Mountain. I guess that in and of itself makes that more plausible. It does seem much more of a dwarf thing than one done by humans, though I could still see Men doing it...

Lord Of All

The Argonath

Post#10 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:16 am

I doubt it. Although The Dwarves were the greatest of all craftsmen save the Noldor of old the Numenoreans were a close third. They made the Unbreakable Tower of Orthanc, the great city of Minas Tirth and the inpenetrable Black Gate. It was well within the Numenoreans means of doing the Argonath even though there work in Middle-earth wasn't much compared to on Numenor itself.
There skill only faded in later years when the Numenorean blood began to dilute.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”