Bwahahahaha!

PlasticSquirrel

Bwahahahaha!

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That's alright, I got pretty excited when I got my big shiny illustrated copy. But I never open it! I only ever use my knackered old paperback cos I'm scared of spilling guinness all over my nice shiny book!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

chikakat

Bwahahahaha!

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

this is kind of a question that didn't fit anywhere else and I didn't feel like starting a whole new topic because it kind of fits here, I guess. Sort of.

Anyway, with that intro...

My friend just started in on LotR. However, she got the whole series at once. She just finished FotR, and was very sad about the whole Gandalf-fell-into-a-hole thing, but then she realized that Gandalf isn't dead because he appears on the cover of the RotK. Kinda ruined the surprise...is it just me that thinks this was quite poor planning on the part of whoever designed the book cover?

PlasticSquirrel

Bwahahahaha!

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Nope, not just you, I think that really sux! I was so damn sure he was dead right up til he showed up again.

Halo_Black

Bwahahahaha!

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, sticking Gandalf on the cover of the second book does kinda mess up the plot a little...

sauron

Bwahahahaha!

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

hey come to think about it.....on this whole treacherous journey with several dangerous pitfalls, NOT EVEN ONE PERSON DIES
Frodo, sam merry and pippin all 4 hobbits who dont know the real world and its dangers.....they all live....
gandalf...when he died i thought the book was getting realistic, but then he pops right back again
aragorn....lives to b king
boromir.....well nobody feels sad for him when he dies coz at the last he kindof threatens Frodo and stuff.....so it's like goto hell
how improbable!
only the most powerful character in the whole story, who has control over millions of vile creatures, and is the darkest lord of the story, dies
:-P

grondmaster

Bwahahahaha!

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Nobody in the Company except Boromir dies; however, plenty of the good guys die. Read "The Battle of Mundburg" on the last two pages of LOTR Vol. III, Book V, Chapter 6 entitled 'The Battle of Pelennor Fields' where it lists the dead of Rohan in song, as was the oral tradition of the Rohirrim.

Qustion: Where the song couples names, is the first the knight and the second his horse or are they all human names?
'Share and enjoy'

TomBombadillo

Bwahahahaha!

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't have my copy anymore, so I couldn't tell, sorry *grondy.
I guess I'll just have to buy a new copy... I think I'll follow *Plastic in never opening it. Cos the one I had (up until yesterday, see explanation elsewhere) has loose pages, cover is torn, things like that. But it's still readable. And I'm very careful with it. (well, I was...) :)
I too was totally convinced that Gandalf was dead, but I kept on reading, couldn't stop, cos I wanted to be sure that he didn't appear again. When Aragorn & co saw that white figure in Fangorn, I didn't even think it could be Gandalf. I was so happy I started to sing and laugh when I found out it was him! (I remember my parents looking rather weird when I did. haha) But the fact that he is on the cover of RotK does spoil it. You have to be totally convinced that he is dead and will not appear again before you get to the bit in Fangorn where he suddenly does appear again. Otherwise the whole thrill of "meeting" him again is gone... That would suck... :(
And Grondy's right. Lots of good people do die in the battles. Just a great bit of luck that only one of the Fellowship died I guess. Though some of them were close quite some times, especially Gandalf and Frodo. I don't think it is unrealistic, you just take it for granted. I did... I didn't question it, but now that you mention it... Just part of the story... :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

Bwahahahaha!

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, what about Theoden? and Denethor? Hmmmm?

TomBombadillo

Bwahahahaha!

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Those were indeed among the ones I was thinking about... :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Ungoliant

Bwahahahaha!

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Boo hoo! You just reminded me of Theoden's death. . That broke my heart :(

Do you consider Denethor as one of the good guys? I could never decide how to view him...he was a mean old b*****d, treating Faramir like that.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”