Inseparable Friends

grondmaster

Inseparable Friends

Post#1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:00 pm

Leelee posted the following in the wrong spot and asked that it be moved to a better place; I figured it should be under LotR rather than in either of the general discussion threads; thus:
Leelee has made 378 posts is an Elf from Rivendell and is not Online.
Posted Tuesday 13th March 2007 (06:18pm)

Two passages in Fellowship of the Ring are dear to my heart and set up the premise for this thread.
the first, pag 359:
Legolas did not sleep with the other companions, though he returned to eat and talk with them.Often he took Gimli with him when he went abroad in the land, and the others wondered as this change.
The second,pge 372:
The Company was arranged in th is way: Aragorn, Frodo and Same were in one boat;Boromir, Merry and Pippin in another; and in the third were Legolas adn Gimli, who had now become fast friends.
I marvel at this myself.Aside from the fact that they heeded Gandalf's admonishen to put aside their ancient grievances for the sake of the Fellowship and the Quest, they personally found in one another something deeper even than blood love or friendship. Or so it seems to me anyway.
What was it, why did not Legolas get that close to say Aragorn with whom he had much more in common in some ways, or the playful Hobbits. Why Gimli the son of Gloin?

And the question of this thread is,
what character from Middle Earth would you choose to be that heart close to you, someone you could and would trust with your secrets and hopes and fears and want to be in all of your future come what may?

Although I dearly love Gandalf and Eowyn and several others really I must go with Frodo. It is he my heart treasures above all others. I would want to be with him and share my thoughts and joys and defeats, my grief and my pain and my hopes with him. As he longed for Bilbo in the end above all others he loved and he dearly loved Sam, so I would not bear to be separated from Frodo.And to be with him and the elves in the end even if it meant leaving all others behind that my soul loved, so be it.
I choose Frodo.
Anyone else have thoughts about whom they would choose?
'Share and enjoy'

leelee

Inseparable Friends

Post#2 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

Oh my deepest thanks dearest Grondy. :)

virumor

Inseparable Friends

Post#3 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:22 pm

Gandalf, most probably. As the wisest being in Middle-earth, he'd probably be able to furnish some excellent advise.

Celeborn or Elrond would be acceptable for that purpose as well.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

leelee

Inseparable Friends

Post#4 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:33 am

These choices you made Vir, would that be simply because of what they could impart from you, or was there something in their nature, their personalities that would cause you to want not to be parted from them on purely an emotional friendship level?

virumor

Inseparable Friends

Post#5 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:19 pm

No, I'd never befriend an Elf. You can't even look at them without wearing shades. So unpractical.

leelee

Inseparable Friends

Post#6 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:15 pm

sniff..........does that include this elf? And what do you mean impractical. I realize we spend a lot of time thinking and singing and trying to preserve things as they were. But we are fiercely loyal and strong and swift and good fighters. I cannot believe you said that Vir dear. :(

Sian

Inseparable Friends

Post#7 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:24 pm

I, for one, would certainly value your friendship, Leelee, and I also would choose Frodo of all the company in Middle earth. He is also my lifelong favorite charsacter and has been since I was eleven. Maybe I would choose Sam, also.. I think most of choose for our friends those with whom we have the most in common probably more so than those we admire. With someone that you have common ground with you feel at ease opening your heart, you feel less vunerable or open to ridicule. With all that Frodo has gone through, he has grown and changed immensley and I feel he would be the most understanding. He went from a carefree and mischieveous young hobbit to one who literally bore the weight of the future of the earth on his shoulders. He endured the fear of failure and came face to face with his own frailty. Frodo had to overcome not only the ring and the orcs and sauron but he had to overcome himself, too. He has made mistakes and learned new attitudes and ways of thinking. He would certainly understand the weaknesses I have. Sam? Sam has no pretensions. He's plain and simple and he knows it but he has strength that lies under the surface. He's determined and strong in the way the earth is strong and while he may understand my weaknesses he might not share them..

One of the best parts of the story for me is the friendship between Legolas and Gimli. I love to see characters grow. Sometimes (forgive my rambling, if you can) I think each of us lives many, or at least several, different lifetimes, I know I have. Perhaps the attraction between these two began because what they each saw in the other was so completely different than what they expected. Each had grown up believing these stereotypicall things about each other's races and then when thrown into close company they discovered these were not true at all. So they learned more and more about each other, discovering they each had common weaknesses (Gimli's discomfort on horseback and Legolas's discomfort underground) and the friendship blossomed.

leelee

Inseparable Friends

Post#8 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:24 am

How exquisitely you put things Sian. How beautiful and I agree very much with your thoughts.
As for Gimli and Legolas I too am enamoured of their friendship and it puts me in mind of a few I have and do enjoy.I was, because of severe emotional trauma and great physical illness,very delicate and extremely sensitive as a child and well that has not changed really. And into dance and ancient Celtic music, writing and walking alone to think.I always had good friends but was mainly introverted and burned out easily around people. Funnily enough I became a person whose job meant having to be around a lot of people for years!
But in the midst of that I would meet gruff, almost scarey type people, often men who everyone else except perhaps axe murderers would avoid. And they despised my type at the onset. But somehow they would just love me and me them and we would be inseparable friends and strangely compatible to one another. And the friendships have lasted. Go figure. None of my other friends could understand but they would just pat me on the head or hug me and tell me that it was because I am Faerie.
Here is a little glimpse at least that dear Father Tolkien as I like to call him gave us concerning why Gimli was drawn to Legolas heart to h eart. Page 491 of my copy:
Concerning Mirkwood:
"it is old, very old," said the Elf. 'So old that almost I feel young again, as I have not felt since I journeyed with you children.It is old and full of memory. I could have been happy here, if I had come in days of peace.'
'I dare say you could,'snolrted Gimli.'You are a Wood-elf, anyway,though Elves of any kind are strange folk. Yet you comfort me.Where you go I will go........'
that just makes me want to cry for the sincerity and simplicity of their friendship. That truly is a description of inseparable friends don't you think?

cloveress

Inseparable Friends

Post#9 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:58 pm

The friendship of Gimli and Legolas is indeed one of the most remarkable ones in the Third Age, an age where elves and dwarves are estranged form each other. Perhaps that is the reason Legolas chose to take Gimi with him on his voyage to the far West and the reason that the Powers would allow that. I think Tolkien explicated this as the reward for the pureness of friendship that can occur is "of the fea" rather than of race, or blood, or anything else.

virumor

Inseparable Friends

Post#10 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:52 am

The friendship of Gimli and Legolas is indeed one of the most remarkable ones in the Third Age, an age where elves and dwarves are estranged form each other.

Even more remarkable was Celebrían, Elrond's wife, who befriended a band of Orcs from the Misty Mountains. Unfortunately though, her wicked sons slew them all for no reason.

Then their mother became so broken hearted at the loss of her friends, that she had to leave Middle-earth behind, never to see her daughter (the witch Sycorax) again. *sniff*

I think Tolkien explicated this as the reward for the pureness of friendship that can occur is "of the fea" rather than of race, or blood, or anything else.

It's mentioned in the Appendices that if it is true that Gimli was allowed to the Undying Lands, it was because of a boon from Galadriel.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”