A Boromir/Faramir What If?

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

A good hypothetical question; I'll have to think about it for awhile. :)
'Share and enjoy'

Ungoliant

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Oooh, juicy one. I think Eryan would like a bite of this!

Have to thin kabout it, but off the top of my head:
1) Maybe they would have held Osiligath, since Boromir won it in the first place. But then Boromir won the city from the Uruks - don't think the Nazghul were involved - so maybe they would have lost the city (and Boromir) eventually. But it would have given more time for the Rohirrim to reach Minas Tirith & coordinate their defence from inside the city, so maybe Theoden would have lived? Assuming they went to Gondor in the first place (see below).

2) Assuming the same sequence of events up to Amon Hen, I think they would have avoided, or at least thwarted the ambush. They entire Fellowship (including Aragorn) would have followed Frodo to Mordor, with disastrous consequences. They would not have captured Gollum (he would be afraid to come too close to so large a group), and would thus lose their guide through the Marshes of the Dead etc. They would have chosen another path to Mt. Doom anyway, and would all die in a battle somewhere inside Mordor.

Saruman would have invaded Rohan. Theoden would probably be killed, Eomer executed & Eowyn would be handed over to Grima. She'd probably attack him and die too (god I'm in a cheerful mood today).

Eryan

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Oh it IS very good and I think Golly that you are absolutely right as for your suggestion (2) - I immediately thought about the same consequences!
But so many things might have hapened still before Amon Hen - Faramir might have been killed on his way to Rivendell and then in Moria... I must think about it still!

chikakat

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

well, let's see...Faramir probably wouldn't have been corrupted by the ring the way Boromir was, and so I totally agree with Golly's #2 there...but what if Faramir had been corrupted? I don't think he was so good that he could totally avoid it. Then things might have gone on much the same way they did in the real story. Except I don't think Eowyn would have married Boromir, and also it would be interesting to see how Boromir reacted to having to serve as steward under Aragorn...Faramir did a good job, but Boromir might have had more of his father's temerament and might have even resented Aragorn as king.

gnampie

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Knowing Faramir learned a lot from Gandalf, I don't think Faramir would make the mistake taking the whole group to Mordor. I think he would have left with Frodo (and Sam of course) to Mordor alone and adviced Aragorn to take the others to Minas Tirith to help Boromir and distract Sauron.
Faramir knew his way around in Mordor, so I don't think they would have got lost. They would have avoided Shelob probably and Gollum would have followed them like he followed the fellowship the whole time.
This opens a lot of new perspecives. Would Gollum have tried to kill Faramir? Maybe Faramir would have left Frodo and Sam when they entered Mordor and joined his brother in combat. Would Denetor have killed himself if Boromir was still alife?

Eryan

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well now when I thought it over I think that the Rohan/Isengard part might have remained unaffected. After all, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli did not contribute in a realy crucial way to the victory in that Western war. The role played by Merry and Pippin who raised the ents was more important. If Gandalf would decide to come to Fangorn in spite of the fact that the whole Company was gone East, and to rouse the Ents, things might have evolved in much the same way as in LOTR. However, the onset of the attack of Sauron on Minas Tirith might have been delayed, because Pippin and the Aragorn would not have had a look into the Palantir...nn[Edited on 1/7/2002 by Eryan]

Eryan

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And about Eowyn marrying Boromir... no, frankly, I don't think so, and even if they did marry, they would quarrel all the time!

valedhelgwath

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

This is quite interesting because when I posted the thread I had similar views to what most of you are saying.
I believe Faramir would have made it to Rivendell okay, because if anything he was a better woodsman than Boromir, who I believe was more of a commander/warrior.
I don't think the Ring would have corrupted him as much as it did Boromir either; certainly not enough for him to attack Frodo on Amon Hen as his brother did. What happens on Amon Hen is the crucial moment then...
Assuming the party are still together, rather than here, there and everywhere, chasing after Frodo, what would have happened?
1) They may have avoided the uruks all together (Unlikely)
2) They face the uruks together, and if so, could the party overcome them?
Unlike the film, where Aragorn and Legolas get stuck in too, from what I remember of the book, only Boromir engages the orcs here. Could a united party overcome the orcs, where Boromir alone had failed? If they couldn't, the hobbits would have been taken prisoner and the others would have either been slain in the battle or executed. Frodo would have used the Ring to escape, and Sam may have made it with him.
This scenario would have a similar result to the actual version, except Aragorn would not be able to summon the Dead Men of Dunharrow, and Minas Tirith would most likely fall.
Should the party, on the other hand somehow manage to defeat the orcs, I believe all surviving members would go with Frodo to Mordor where they would finish up captured.
As for Boromir, I don't believe he would have held Osgiliath for much longer than Faramir, but it would have been a more costly battle for both sides. If he managed to defend the ruins too well, his force would have been cut off because the army defending the crossing at Cair Andross would lose whatever. If Boromir fell in this battle, I don't think Denethor would have fallen into the same dispair caused by losing his son on some useless quest. Instead, I think he'd have led his troops valiantly, just as Theoden did the Rohirrim.
There again, whatever the outcomes of any hypothetical scenario, the good guys had more than their share of good luck in Tolkien's version, so given the same doses of good luck, but in different situations, I'm sure the end result would have been the same in the end.

TomBombadillo

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'm quite sure Faramir would be able to resist the corruption of the Ring, so he would have acted like Boromir on Amon Hen. Then he would have had to die either, and the company would have had to face the Uruks together, but without Frodo and Sam, who had taken off for Mordor. Then Faramir and co (assuming they overcame the Uruks) would all turn to Gondor and help Boromir and co. to defend Minas Tirith and Gondor. This also means that Gandalf would be on his own to rouse the Ents, warn King Theoden and defeat Saruman. I don't think that could have worked though...
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Eryan

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If Aragorn did not play part in the Western war, and did not summon the Dead, he won't be coming up Anduin with a fleet of black sails. And it was that vision which finally convinced Denethor that any further resistance is hopeless. So he would fight to the end, I think.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”