The Books

Huan

The Books

Post#1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:26 am

Hi Guys,

First of all I am new to this forum, and fairly new to the world of Tolkien. I've read The Hobbit 2 times, and The Lord of the rings once.
Enjoyed it alot, I've seen the movies for about 5 times and I've read a lot on the internet about the new hobbit movie.
The world is great and it made me wonder if it is worthwile to read the "Silmarillion" and "the Children of Hurin" and in what order is it most fun for me to read them, timeline wise...

I Believe it's this way right?

- Children of Hurin

- Silmarillion

- The Hobbit

- Lord of the Rings

There are more books which I can't recall the name of at the moment. So if anyone has the time to clarify this for me, that would be great!

By the way since I'm knew to the forum I'll introduce myself:

I'm Roy aka Huan (I just use that name in a lot of online games and forums, I just loved the story of Beren and Lúthien with Huan (the dog))
I live in Holland and I'm 19 years old. Currently working full-time but planning to start a study again coming August, also made it through the tests to become a Dutch marine officer (still in doubt about my decission(study <-> marine) So now that's told I look forward to see some reactions!

greetz Huan

Gandalfs Beard

The Books

Post#2 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Welcome Huan, Beren is our resident "expert" who I believe has every Tolkien book ever published. Hopefully he will jump in soon and give you a rundown. If you haven't already, check out the new members thread. I think I left an introduction there myself. If not, then mea culpa :lol: .

As to your query about your decision to be a Dutch Marine Officer, perhaps you could clarify if that is a military or other agency and if by Study you mean college. It seems to me, without knowing, that either way your duties may interfere with your plans to study. You should think carefully about which is your highest priority in your life at this moment--fulfilling a duty to your country or furthering your education (which could also lead to great contributions to your society).

In the meantime, there have been a number of interesting discussions here, and I hope to read your comments on some of them. :D

Gandalfs Beard

lothierial

The Books

Post#3 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:05 am

Welcome Huan! I like that story as well :D it is beautiful and sad but amazing! Any hew welcome to the forum :)

Durin

The Books

Post#4 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:09 am

Hey Huan! Well, this Forum isn't as active as some, but I have a feeling it will be. For example, the Hobbit Movie is coming out in 2012 I have heard, and that is about 3 years away. As the tension mounts, I hope that this Forum will be rustling with activity and you will be here for it! As for those books you listed, I believe those are all correct. However, there are many more footnotes Tolkien has written that you can probably find at your local Bookstore. Great to have another Tolkien lover around!

Best Wishes,

Durin

Huan

The Books

Post#5 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 am

Thx guys

As for Gandalfs questions: It's definitely a military function, comparisable to the US marine corps. And yes my study means college;) Sport management & organisation, which is located in Amsterdam.. so it's for me to decide which one it's going to be. The main point of my doubts is 'social life'
If I decide to choose the marines I got 5 years of education and training, after that a 7 year contract. So that means 12 year of solitude (in a way) hardly home in the weekends, always away during the week. But 12 years of a good salary plus the certainty of a job.

I've read most of the discussions on the forum, and I promise you I will be joining them soon;)

greetz Huan

Show

The Books

Post#6 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:14 am

I would start with the Silmarillion. Hurin and his children are told in the Silmarillion briefly. The silmarillion will give you a sense of the entire Middle-Earth time line from creation to the War of the Rings (Lord of the Rings). Children of Hurin is a fuller, fleshed out version of one part of the Silmarillion.

Though, if you prefer, Children of Hurin will be easier to read and more enjoyable the first time through. Due to the scope of the Silmarillion, I found it a very hard and boring read the first time through. I have since them come to love it.

Beren

The Books

Post#7 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:12 pm

oh great....don't build up your hopes about my expertise.
Anyways, I would actually suggest (if you have time) that you read LOTR again. There are a lot of Silmarillion references that, if you catch them, will make the Silmarillion more enjoyable. After that, I'd just plunge into the Silmarillion. It's thick, but it's good. I got the tape recording from my library and read along with the narrator. This helped me not stumble over names. After the Silmarillion, I'd say read the Children of Hurin. It'll be a nice break from the thickness of the Silmarillion.
Another interesting book that I found is "Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth." It has some really interesting stuff in it. The last part of the book is devoted to filling in gaps in LOTR. Like telling where certain characters were and what they were doing while the actual story of LOTR was on someone else. It's a great reference book.
I am currently reading "The History of Middle-Earth" a 12-volume series detailing Tolkien's life work on Middle-Earth. If you don't want to get that involved, then I suggest you just read a couple. The Book of Lost Tales (vols. 1 and 2) give an awesome version of the Silmarillion. All it really is is the Silmarillion in fire-side form. These elves just get together every night and tell tales of the old world. It's great. Another is "The Lost Road." It is an unfinished story about time-travel (written at the same time and as a compliment to C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy.) Even though the actual story is quite short, it is very interesting. If you want more than all these that I've mentioned, try "The Lays of Beleriand." It gives the stories of Beren and Luthien and the Children of Hurin in poetry form. Very beautiful.
If you want some small stuff (not necessarily from Middle-Earth), try "Farmer Giles of Ham", "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil", "Leaf by Niggle", and "Smith of Wootton Major."

Now that you have enough reading to last you quite a few years, I suppose I'll shut up :oops: .

Gandalfs Beard

The Books

Post#8 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Well I'd say all that reading puts you at expert level Beren :lol: . I've just read the basics, and I only got part way into the Silmarrillion and Book of Lost Tales Pt1 recently before having to take them back to the library. I really have to pull my copies out of storage so I can re-read them at my leisure :oops: . I think my Mum has acopy of Unfinished Tales and Farmer Giles of Ham somewhere in storage.

Gandalf's beard

Huan

The Books

Post#9 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:34 am

so let me get this straight..

Your idea of first reading the "lord of the rings" again sounds smart, cause I often confuse the story in the book with the story in the movies, and I know that's quite different.

So I'd probably read that all over again, that should keep me buisy for a while, although I'm a fast reader.

after that it would probably be smart (as Beren, show and Gandalf stated) to read the silmarillion. I love the whole world of middle earth so I guess I won't get borred that fast. Next is probably "unfinished tales of numenor and middle-earth" and after that I'll have a look what interests me most. Anyway thanks for the clarification.

And then one more thing, ofcourse I'm Dutch and I'm able to get all the books in the Dutch language, but wouldn't it be more fun for me to read them all in English? Can you guys shine a light on this matter? hmm my english isn't bad, not bad at all, but I'm wondering if the silmarillion is hard to understand if you read it in a different language as your own..

greetz Huan

Gandalfs Beard

The Books

Post#10 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 am

If you are insane like me you will try to read at least some of the books in a side by side comparison (I tried to do that with the German version of LOTR in High School). But I wasn't as good at German as you are at English :lol: . I won't be trying that again because I don't remember enough German. :oops:
If you have already read LOTR in Dutch try it in English now. If it's not too bad then you should have no problem reading the Silmarillion in English.

Gandalf's Beard

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”