Similarities Between Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Durin

Post#1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Well, As I was talking about Biblo swearing he saw a Bear Like Creature coming along on the road (Beorn) in a different thread, it suddenly came to me, that Frodo could have swore in the Mines of Moria, he heard a "Pitter-Patter" of feet going on behind him. I know some other similarities, I just want to see if every other Tolkien Reader is so attentive in their reading ;) . Happy Reading!

Show

Post#2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:35 am

How about this one:

Mad dash through the underneath of a mountain, only to lose a memeber of the group along the way. Later, that member will rejoin.

Misty Mountains/Moria

Beren

Post#3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 am

how about the most obvious one? "The Eagles are coming!!!"

Show

Post#4 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 am

I thought the story was over... what do you mean something is rotten in Hobbiton?

Eldorion

Post#5 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:56 am

Heroic man who plays a vital role in helping the Quest along and turns out to be the heir to a kingdom which now survives in some lesser form, who after the success of the Quest restores said kingdom.

Bard, Lake-town, Aragorn, Gondor and Arnor. :mrgreen:

Elanor

Post#6 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 pm

I've noticed these as well. The goblin town = mines of moria
beorn = ents, having to cross the Misty Mountains, the eagles, the loss of Gandalf. I've always looked at it as a grand grand retelling of the Hobbit. And enjoyed it all the more.

Durin

Post#7 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Hmm, perhaps I am missing something Elanor, but how exactly are the Ents and Beorn related? Sure they have things to do with nature... but... then you could say that pebble that moved over there has something related to do with Beorn... :oops: . I would appreciate it if you could explain/expand on that, I'm always looking for more knowledge! :)

anaclangon

Post#8 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:15 pm

The Hobbit and LOTR were both written by the same man. :ugeek:

Sorry I was just being cheeky. Really though, there are many similarities to other stories in Tolkiens greater mythology, such as Beren and Luthien and Aragorn and Arwen. Im certain that you could draw paralells between Borimir and Turin.

Remember that the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings is the end of the story, a story that tolkien had been writing since 1918 or so in France. While I dont think that he intended LOTR to be what it became, the greater tapestry of the mythology that he was writing, the hobbit was "woven in". In fact, LOTR was an attempt at the beginning to write a sequal to the hobbit, a variation on a theme as it were.

anaclangon

Post#9 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:23 pm

Hmm, perhaps I am missing something Elanor, but how exactly are the Ents and Beorn related? Sure they have things to do with nature... but... then you could say that pebble that moved over there has something related to do with Beorn... :oops: . I would appreciate it if you could explain/expand on that, I'm always looking for more knowledge! :)

The ents and Beorn do have similarities...(bearing in mind Tolkiens extreme dislike of allegorical comparisons).

Both Beorn and the Ents represented in the story, a concept and a very powerful plot device. The concept they represent is the power of nature that tolkien loved, Both Beorn and Treebeard were powerful lords of the natural world, and were representatives of and provided a voice to things that could not speak for themselves.

Beorn and Treebeard also represented the plot device of rest and rejuvenation and unlooked for help. Unlooked for but not unknown (In both instances Gandalf knew of them). In both instances, characters gained insight through interaction with them. It was a place for characters to regroup and refresh (in treebeards case it was just the hobbits Merry and Pippin).

I am sure that they have other similarities. But thats all I can think of at the moment.

Gandalfs Beard

Post#10 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:05 am

I was actually thinking the same thing Anaclangon 8-) . But I hadn't taken the time to reason it all out. But you have definitely hit on the key connection between Beorn, and Treebeard, and Tom Bombadil too for that matter. They sre all essentially Stewards of Nature. Their "job" on Middle Earth is to look after various aspects of the Natural World, and keep things in Balance.

GB

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”