Is there a Hobbit Heaven, and what's it like?

Odo Banks

Post#1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:27 pm

:?: :?: :?:

:twisted: not welcome!

Eldorion

Post#2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Hobbits almost certainly have the same fate after death as Men (being a variant of Men and clearly mortal) - to leave the Circles of the World, going to a fate that no one in Arda knows.

My personal theory is that they join Iluvatar in the Timeless Halls - a heaven, essentially - but I have no evidence for this.

Odo Banks

Post#3 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 pm

I personally hope there is another Shire they go to where their big brothers (Men) are not allowed to go (except for perhaps you and me Eldo!) Indeed, it would be the world of The Hobbit where LotR did not exist, and while Gondolin and Nargothrond existed (in the past) the Silmarillion didn't. In this Heaven, little Hobbit lads and lasses could go off on all sorts of exciting adventures, anything from climbing trees, to out-witting dragons, to finding magic rings, to even sneaking around the Necromancer's lair in Mirkwood (this Necromancer bad with evilness, but Fairy-tale evil, not overborne and weighed down with Sin and any associated Judean-Christian Religioevil).

Imagine the seedcakes and birthday presents, and all that high adventure with goblins, and stone giants, and soaring eagles (and even Men, in their place), and at the end of day, a safe Shire to come home to! Tom Bombadillo and Treebeard and Barrow-wights would be there too, for they belong in a Hobbit Heaven and make no mistake!)

Eldorion

Post#4 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Barrow-wights in Hobbit Heaven? :lol:

I could definitely see Hobbits having their own corner of paradise where they were free to carry on undisturbed, though it would be nice to think that in Paradise the Big and Little folk were able to get along better, like a perfect version of Bree.

Gandalfs Beard

Post#5 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

Sounds just like...The Shire. :P :lol:

GB

Odo Banks

Post#6 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Shire-Heaven would have a Middle-earthish Man-Heaven just outside. There could be a Breeish-Heaven for the companionable folk like yourself, Eldo. And Hellish Places too, which adventuresome hobbits could visit, decapitate a few goblins and wargs (risk their lives, you know - but not really), then come home to Safe old Shire-Heaven (popping into Bree on the way, if you are so disposed!) The Barrow-wights are more The Hobbitish (because of their association with Tom Bombabadil - and he surely belongs in Hobbit Heaven!) than LotRish - but they could be in both heavens.

Btw, I imagine LotR Heaven would be over Valinor way, wouldn't it? LotR Heaven wouldn't be for people like me. They'd take themselves far too seriously over there for my liking!

Gandalfs Beard

Post#7 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:39 pm

I like the sound of your Shire-Heaven Odo 8-) . But as descendants of Hobbits, you and I would be a shoo-in for a Hobbit-Hole in Bag-End ;) .

GB

Odo Banks

Post#8 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Absolutely! (We would have our own rooms though, wouldn't we?) :?

Gandalfs Beard

Post#9 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:30 am

Of course! :lol:

Though we could probably each have our own home right next door to each other (it is Hobbit HEAVEN after all ;) ). Hmmm! I wonder if I could sneak Itaril into our Afterlife.

GB

Odo Banks

Post#10 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 am

I wonder if we could fit both Itaryl and a friend in as well? I only ever thought to ban Man from the Shire part of Hobbit Heaven, you now...

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”