Jackson's appearances and small parts in the films.

Joseph Dwarf

Post#1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi guys I was wondering, how many times does Jackson appear in the films? I remember seeing him in the Fellowship, well I think it was him at least, when the Hobbits first enter Bree after escaping the wraiths, there's a guy eating a carrot with the rain pouring down his face, who kinda grunts as they pass him. Is this Jackson? it looks a bit like him. I also remember seeing a very obvious Jackson in the Rotk when Gimli nudges Legolas' bow and causes him to shoot an unawares corsair of Umbar, which is of course played by Jackson too. I can't remember any other on screen film encounters with the director. Please get back and remind me of any I've missed. :)

J Dwarf

Eldorion

Post#2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Yes, the carrot fellow in Bree was Jackson. Aside from the instances you mention, Jackson's only other cameo was a spear-throwing defender of the Hornburg. Here are some screenshots of his cameos.

Joseph Dwarf

Post#3 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Sigh not many then Eldo, I can see this Thread's pretty much concluded already then. :lol: Thanks anyway Eldo.

J Dwarf

Eldorion

Post#4 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:58 pm

He just had one appearance per film, yes. Although the ROTK cameo was extended to two parts in the EE - in the original he was glimpsed for only a second or two while yelling orders, in the EE he was shot by Legolas.

Gandalfs Beard

Post#5 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 pm

Ha Ha :lol: . Those are great. I can't believe I never noticed those before.

[b:v2web86i]GB[/b:v2web86i]

Eldorion

Post#6 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:29 pm

I missed a number of smaller cameos. Alan Lee (and, I believe, John Howe) is a Rohirrim in the armory at Helm's Deep preparing for battle. A lot of less recognizable people have cameos as well, including one of Tolkien's grandsons or great-grandsons.

Also, I forgot about this earlier, but PJ and Fran Walsh (who is either his wife or his partner depending on which Internet source you check) are featured as portraits on the wall at Bag End. They are clearly visible above the mantelpiece that Bilbo supposedly left the Ring on at the beginning of FOTR. Jackson's arm also appears as a stand-in for Sean Astin's in the very first shot of Sam interrupting Shelob.

pettytyrant101

Post#7 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Im not a fan of directors making cameos in their own films, seems self indulgent. And worse was him putting his kids in. They turn up as hobbit children, children at Helms Deep and in the street in Gondor- wouldn't be so bad except they are prominent in all three and therefore gives the impression there's one very fertile guy wandering ME and breeding in very culture!

Tinuviel

Post#8 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:34 pm

He cameos in all of his other movies, too. Except district 9. I was looking for him but i couldn't find him. I spotted him IMMEDIATELY in the Lovely Bones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvgwXAky1t8
That's a link to see all of his cameos, except for lovely bones. In lovely bones he's just looking at a camera.

Eldorion

Post#9 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm

I can understand a Director wanting to visually appear in a film he/she has spent a lot of time working on, but when they put their kids in I agree with you, petty. It's self-indulgent, serves no purpose, and it's not like the kids were working on the movie (though if they had I wouldn't mind them showing up).

P.S. Tin, District 9 isn't really *his* movie, it's Neill Blomkamp's.

Gandalfs Beard

Post#10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Oh come on!!! Don't be so persnickity :roll: . If I were a director I'd let all my friends and family have cameos or parts as extras (and that includes you guys). I don't see anything wrong with that. I have no idea what Jackson's kids look like, and neither do most people, so how on Earth does it make a difference?

GB

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”