Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Ancalagon

Post#1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Couple questions about this scene from PJ's LOTR:

1. How do you guys feel about the Army of the Dead arriving at the battle instead of reinforcements from southern Gondor like in the book?
2. Does anyone else find the Rohirrim charging head long into the mumakil to be completely asinine?

pettytyrant101

Post#2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 pm

In brief;
1. Awful.
2. Yes.

To be a little more specific the RoTK the film suffers overall from a complete lack of politics, without mention of Dol Amroth, or any of the other Captains or the aid for Gondor being drawn off in defence of their own lands by the Corsairs, there was no way for PJ to introduce where Aragorn got the men from so they copped out and just had him bring the dead along (besides when the green glowing dead swarm through the streets of the white Minas Tirith it looks like an advert for a toilet cleaner).
And whilst the charging of the Mumakil is certainly exciting and an excuse for PJ to recreate the Hoth battle from Empire Strikes Back but with elephants, it is stupid. In the books the horses won't go anywhere near the mumakil and they serve as safe havens and rallying points for the enemy. They never charge although occasionally one of them does go berserk and trample friend an foe alike. But I guess that's not as exciting as having Legolas single handedly taking them down or Eowyn slicing the legs from under them. (You've made me depressed just thinking about it).

Eldorion

Post#3 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Ancalagon wrote:1. How do you guys feel about the Army of the Dead arriving at the battle instead of reinforcements from southern Gondor like in the book?

It cheapens the whole battle. In the book the southern reinforcements helped turn the tide, but there was still a lot of fighting to be done. In the movie the Green Mouthwash Mary-Sues just come in, mop up in a matter of minutes, and render meaningless all the sacrifices made to that point. The book-reinforcements alone could not have won the battle, but the Mouthwash would have been just as effective if everyone else had just hidden for a few extra hours.

2. Does anyone else find the Rohirrim charging head long into the mumakil to be completely asinine?

Yes. The horses (and probably the riders) should have been freaked out, like the book and common sense dictates they would be by strange, giant creatures. I also got very sick of the stomping very fast. As a semi-related rant: I cannot stand that Eowyn was able to take down a mumak with a couple light slashes against its legs when the mumak apparently had a thick enough hide that it could have arrows sticking out of it like a ladder. Inconsistency much? :roll:

Gandalfs Beard

Post#4 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:42 am

It was freakin' brilliant :mrgreen: . I loved every minute of that epic battle sequence. Not like the book? You betcha! Do I care? Not really, it still was Awesome 8-) .

Legolas takes out an oliphaunt and surfs its trunk WOW! Loved the Eowyn ankle slicing scene. Army of the Dead...Epic save in the nick of time...Nice bit of real Fantasy there. Jackson's Battle Kicks Arse!

If I wanted another "realistic" medieval battle movie I'd just watch Braveheart again. No thanks :P !

GB

Odo Banks

Post#5 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:16 am

Theoden exhorting his Rohirrim on the ridge top, riding along battering those spears was a FANTASTIC scene. Stirring, what! Loved that bit!

After that, yeah, it was a bit of a let down (LotR book speaking), but as pure cinema... oh my God.... I agree with GB (in part)! I even liked the Legolas climbing up the arrows bit! Shame! Shame on me! Sorry Mr Tyrant!

I agree, however, about the green cleansing liquid. Though I guess Minas Tirith did need a good wash, what with all those foul orcs despoiling and soiling it!

Eldorion

Post#6 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:02 am

Gandalfs Beard wrote:If I wanted another "realistic" medieval battle movie I'd just watch Braveheart again. No thanks :P !

I just prefer fantasy that makes sense by a certain set of rules. They'll be its own rules to a large degree, sure, but being fantasy doesn't mean anything can happen. That's my preference, at any rate.

Ancalagon

Post#7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 pm

I also love how the seige towers were exactly the correct height to open onto the wall as if the orcs had a full blueprint of the city :lol:

pettytyrant101

Post#8 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:53 pm

With regard to siege towers and the like I've always found it difficult, given how orcs seem to interact with one another, to envisage orc carpenters and orc draughtsmen- I can but assume the design and building must have been done by the men of Harad or somewhere.
Orc weaponry and armour is another one, I suspect a lot is just plunder but they do seem to have their own distinctive styles which raises the thought of orc blacksmiths etc.

Eldorion

Post#9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Ancalagon wrote:I also love how the seige towers were exactly the correct height to open onto the wall as if the orcs had a full blueprint of the city :lol:

I don't think it could have been too hard for them to guesstimate the height of the walls. Sauron is known for having spies, after all.

Odo Banks

Post#10 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:51 pm

It's a wonder the orcs could achieve anything collectively! When they weren't getting slain by the good guys, they were slaying each other! :lol:

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”