A Matter of Height

pettytyrant101

A Matter of Height

Post#1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:31 am

Just wondering whether people feel the films should have made more of the relative sizes of people. Is Aragron for example tall enough? His ancestors were said to stand more than 7 feet tall (and don't ask me what that is in these new fangled metric things because I have no idea).
Also if ELendil is 7 and a 1/2 foot tall then that would make Sauron in the film opening sequence well over 10ft tall!
Galadriel is supposed to be over six feet tall and her husband Celeborn, whose name (in later versions) translates as "Silver Tall" is also meant to be huge. In general the elves in the film are all portrayed as very similar in height, yet those who lived in the Blessed Realm before the Silmirils debacle are known to be much taller.
The Rohirrim are said to be notably shorter (with the exception of the royal line associated by marriage to Morwen of Lossarnach). So Aragorn should have towered over the average rider.

Eldorion

A Matter of Height

Post#2 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:26 am

Film-Aragorn appeared to be of about average height, but that average would probably have been less than the modern average. However, I don't think that the relative heights are that important, and think that getting good actors is more important than getting tall (or short) actors. Aragorn is the only one who I wish was a bit taller, but it's not that important to me.

pettytyrant101

A Matter of Height

Post#3 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 am

I don't think they should have cast according to height- they don't have to- they cast a 6ft tall man as a dwarf remember so its not a matter of substituiting acting skill for the right height- they could have cast viggo and still made him look taller.

Gandalfs Beard

A Matter of Height

Post#4 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am

As long as the various heights of Tolkien's races look right comparatively and generally speaking, I don't think individual heights are so important.

GB

pettytyrant101

A Matter of Height

Post#5 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:46 am

Overall I agree with the points mentioned, but part of me thinks it would have been nice to have displayed these differences, without explanation, as a way of implying the history of each. LoTR is full of these glimpses of deeper causes and histories without explaining them in the main body of text, perhaps the film makers should have been thinking similarly.

Eldorion

A Matter of Height

Post#6 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:47 am

That's a good point, petty, and I had forgotten just how tall John Rhys-Davies is. I suppose the filmmakers didn't see it as that important, though. It would have been a nice touch, but I'd give them the benefit of a doubt and suppose they had enough on their plates already making those films. They were, at least, able to give each race a distinctive look and feel down to the extras they cast for each.

pettytyrant101

A Matter of Height

Post#7 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:56 am

Indeed Eldo, its a credit to the filmakers (and I don't say that often!) that one almost immediately forgets the relative heights of the actors whilst watching. Overall its achieved very well throughout with only a few minor errors.

Gandalfs Beard

A Matter of Height

Post#8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Yay! a kumbaya moment :mrgreen: !

GB

Eldorion

A Matter of Height

Post#9 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Yep. :mrgreen: Whatever my criticisms of the movies, they have some really amazing parts. 8-)

Odo Banks

A Matter of Height

Post#10 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:48 am

Are you referring to tall parts, short parts or long parts, Eldo? :?

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”