Golden LotR Moments overlooked for the movies

Odo Banks

Post#1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Here you go, lads! :D

pettytyrant101

Post#2 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 am

Wow- where to start they left more out than they put in.

1. Gaffer Gamgee holding court in the Green Dragon "Elves and Dragons! I says to him. Cabbages and potatoes are better for me and you."

2, Bilbo leaving after his party in the company of dwarves one last time.

3. Gandalf's line to Frodo upon being left standing at the door, "If you don't let me in, Frodo, I shall blow your door right down your hole and out through the hill."

4. The elves of Gildor and the night in Woodhall.

5. Farmer Maggot and his dogs and the approach to the ferry in the mist.

6. The entire Buckland (bath song included) bit, Old Forest, Tom Bomabadil stuff. And a special mention to Frodo losing his companions in the fog of the Barrowdowns. (Still creepy every time I read it).

7. Most of Strider's dialogue at Bree and his annoyance with Butterbur, "Then who would you take up with? A fat innkeeper who only remembers his name because people shout it at him all day?"

8. Fatty Bolger raising the alarm call of Buckland after the Black Riders attack Crickhollow. "No, not me! I haven't got it!"

9. Barliman Butterbur and his constant streams of breathless (often unintentionally humorous) dialogue. "there was some folk killed, killed dead!" (he's in the film but as a different character with almost no lines of consequence).

10. Bill Ferny, Bill the pony and the apple throwing. Plus most of the inhabitants of Bree coming out to watch the hobbits leave with Strider.

11. Sam bursting into poetry singing the Fall of Gil-Galad.

12. Strider telling the tale of Tinuviel and Beren in the darkened dell beneath Weathertop before the attack.

13. Sam (again) bursting into song about Tom and the Troll.

14. Glorfindel and in especial the line "It is you, Frodo, and that which you bear that brings us all in peril."

And that's just book 1 of Fellowship! What film did they actually make? Because looking at this list most of it seems to have stayed in the books! And this is just from memory so I'm sure I've missed a lot of golden moment stuff along the way.

Tinuviel

Post#3 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:24 pm

I agree Petty, so much was left out of the movie!!!!! I remeber reading the books afterward (I saw the movies first, as you probably know...) and thinking, WHERE WAS THIS IN THE MOVIE!!!??? Yet then the movie would be even longer than it already is. I must say though, FOTR was my least favorite movie, but favorite book. I suppose its because the book had more details to the story...

Odo Banks

Post#4 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Only reminds me of how many genuinely filmographic scenes were missed out, guys! Personally, I would have watched (at least) six movies (approximately one for each book). One day someone might make an 'animated' movie (broadest sense) as a series. It would not matter if current tried and tested animation techniques (developed already, therefore cheaper) were used. It's the story that counts not the keep-up-with-the-Jones-factor. I still make allowances for special effects in WoOz, even they stand up. We make allowance for things done properly (read: authentically). Toy Story-cross-Jungle Book-cross-The-Sword-in-the-Stone-cross-Avatar (matured) would probably do the job. The story - the story - the story... (Make up your own stories PJ!!!!)

pettytyrant101

Post#5 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 am

Animated or not a tv series is the only hope of doing the books justice- they do not lend themselves to either the time constraints or the format of film.

Anyhow more golden moments-book 2 this time.

1.Gloin at the Council of Elrond and his account of the messenger coming to Dale.

2. Frodo meeting Bilbo in the Hall of Fire.

3. Saruman revealing his robe of many colours and the proper dialogue between Gandalf and Saruman; "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

4. The debate among the Company as to which route to take after the failed attempt on the Redhorn. "It is not of the Ring, nor of us others that I am thinking now, but of you, Gandalf. And I say to you; if you pass the doors of Moria, beware!"

5. The wolf attack before Moria. "That was an eye-opener, and no mistake! Nearly singed the hair off my head!"

6. The proper version of the well in Moria with its disturbing 'tap-tom,tom-tap' drifting up out of the dark.

7. Gimli singing about Durin.

8. Gandalf's encounter with the Beater of Drums. "I had to speak a word of Command. That proved too great a strain. The door burst in pieces. Something dark as a cloud was blocking out all the light inside, and I was thrown backwards down the stairs. All the wall gave way, and the roof of the chamber as well, I think." (Much better than a big troll fight).

9. The mirror-mere.

10. Frodo's encounter wih Gollum in the tress on the border of Lothlorien.

11.Frodo's vision of a young Aragorn, clothed in white, saying farewell to Arwen after they had plighted their troth. "Arwen vanimelda namarie! Here is the heart of Elvendom on earth and here my heart dwells ever." (Surely if you're going to include Arwen in the films here was a natural place for a part of it?)

12. Sam's words upon looking in the mirror of Galadriel. "They've dug up Bagshot Row, and there's the poor old gaffer going down the Hill with his bits of things on a barrow. I must go home."

13. Aragorn receiving the elfstone and the name foretold for him, Elessar.

14. The first appearance of the winged nazgul and Legolas shooting it down.

15. The conversation (reduced and rewritten badly for the film) where Boromir tries to persuade Frodo to 'lend' him the Ring.

16. The reincarnated Gandalf striving with Sauron to stop Frodo being revealed on Amon Hen. "Take it off! Fool, take it off!"

Right that's most of my favourite bits from FoTR and almost none of them are in the film of FoTR or in very reduced form. And FoTR is the film closest to the books!

Odo Banks

Post#6 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 am

You're making me so sad Mr Tyrant.... it's like that suppressed memories gumph... except.... it's not really gumph.... is it? :cry: :cry:

What about the pat-pat-pat of footsteps Frodo thought to hear...? What about jumping huge gaps in the semi-dark of those deep tunnels...?

What about poor Gimli at poor Balin's tomb - the canonical version? Golden Saddest Moment of my reading experience. I adored Balin! If they LotRize Balin in the Hobbit Movies, the LotR movie scene will still not resonate or stir emotion. Do him properly - the LotR movie version will have some impact. But try to forget the troll shortly after though...

And what about Gandalf's reading of the remnant diary in the book version? Rivetting! What a build up! Doom-doom-doom!

Oh, I can't...go...on... There's so much more, so much much more, and just in the Fellowship! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Curse you, Mr Tyrant for bringing it all back - but don't stop! You can't stop now! People....need...to...know....the...truth... Can the likes of people such as Gandalfs Beard even handle the Truth...!? - (Wonder where he is btw... Forum never seems quite the same when he's missing...)

pettytyrant101

Post#7 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:19 am

You are right Odo, Frodo hearng Gollums following steps, leaping the chasms in the dark with the roar of distant water far below- all great moments but I fear if I included absolutely everything they missed and I loved I'd still be writing the list now!
And indeed the truth must be known!
I too miss GB I do so hope everything is well with him and his and it's just busyness keeping him away. It is a lesser forum without a Beard about the place. (besides we need him to keep the place tidy of spam and give the place a good sweep and where else will we get new bristles for a good broom without a Beard to pluck?)

pettytyrant101

Post#8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:30 am

Book 3

1. Aragorn not mucking about when confronting Eomer and giving one of his roll calls that never feature in the films 'reluctant' Aragorn. "Elendil! I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dunadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!"

2. Gimli and Eomer's 'argument' over the beauty of Galadriel. "So many strange things have chanced that to learn the praise of a fair lady under the loving strokes of a Dwarf's axe will seem no great wonder."

3. Treebeards introduction on the hill in Fangorn. "Almost felt you liked the Forest! That's good! That's uncommonly kind of you."

4. Treebeards 'Lore of Living Creatures' song.

5. Treebeards song of the Entwives. (If you can get a copy of the version from the BBc radio plays of this its superb- and if you find a copy let me know been trying to find it again for years).

6. Quickbeam and in particular his explanation of his name; "They have called me that ever since i said 'yes' to an elder Ent before he had finished his question." Also the Ent Moot (as it is in book not film obviously).

7. The ents war song. "To land of gloom with tramp of doom, with roll of drum, we come,we come."

8. The excellent Hama, doorward of Theoden. "In doubt a man of worth will trust to his own wisdom."

9. The dialogue between Aragorn, Eomer and Gamling on the Deeping Wall on the long night of the Battle of Helms Deep; "This is a night as long as years. How long will the day tarry?"
"Dawn is not far off. But dawn will not help us I fear"......
"Nonetheless day will bring hope to me. Is it not said that no foe has ever taken the Hornburg, if men defend it?"
"So the minstrels say."

10. Aragorn confronting the Uruk Hai in parley and warning them of their coming destruction even though it looks hopeless.

11. Erkenbrand and his coming to the rescue with Gandalf and Huorns.

12. Legolas galloping off to see the eyes in the tress with a very reluctant Gimi in tow. "I wish to see no eyes!"

13. The damned and dried up Isen suddenly beginning to flow again in the dark of the night.

14. Gandalf's response to Pippin's shock and wonder at Gandalf being still alive. "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took!"

15. Most of the Voice of Saruman chapter, some great dialogue left out of the film (again).

Eldorion

Post#9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:36 pm

pettytyrant101 wrote:15. Most of the Voice of Saruman chapter, some great dialogue left out of the film (again).

That would have been nice, but the first golden moment that comes to mind for me is the ending of "The Palantir". Think of how cool the Nazgul flying overhead in the darkness and Gandalf galloping away with a cry of 'Run now! Hope is in speed!' would be, and the suspense it would build up for the third film. Relatedly, opening RotK with Gandalf and Pippin galloping through Rohan and Anorien, with the second title card coming up as they reach the mist-shrouded wall around the Pelennor... :geek: :D

Also, I would have liked the shot where Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas come out of the Emyn Muil and into Rohan to have looked more like in the book; that passage is probably my favourite physical description in the book.

If I think of anything else I'll post it later. :mrgreen:

Fimbrethil

Post#10 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

What about poor Gimli at poor Balin's tomb - the canonical version? Golden Saddest Moment of my reading experience. I adored Balin! If they LotRize Balin in the Hobbit Movies, the LotR movie scene will still not resonate or stir emotion. Do him properly - the LotR movie version will have some impact. But try to forget the troll shortly after though...

That particular scene was very touching for me. Gimli stayed by Balin tomb even though they were being attacked and Legolas had to drag him away right? Poor Balin..I kind of wish Tolkien didn't kill him off I think he was my favorite dwarf from the hobbit.

3. Saruman revealing his robe of many colours and the proper dialogue between Gandalf and Saruman; "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

Haha I liked when Gandalf says I liked white better.

Another one from book 3

-The whole chapter of the steward and the king. The romance between Faramir and Eowyn is epic (I guess its in the extened version for like 2 seconds)

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”