Imagination

chris63

Imagination

Post#1 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:53 am

When reading the books do you still use your own imagination or do you find yourself thinking
of the characters and the sceanary of the movies.
I tend to think of the movies, shame. I'v got a good imagination. Miss the middle earth i used
to have in my head. Had the Hobbits looking like little moles with waistcoats on like Beetrix potter. :|

Eldorion

Imagination

Post#2 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:51 pm

I find it hard to envision people (though sometimes I can do generic outfits), so a lot of the characters look in my mind like they do in the movies. I can do land formation and buildings much easier, though, so I tend to have a much different mental picture for those (especially Rohan). In a few cases though, particularly Isengard, I deliberately work that conception into my mental image because I like it (it's worth noting that Orthanc design was first illustrated by Alan Lee years before the movies). Lands and buildings in general are less vague for me.

pettytyrant101

Imagination

Post#3 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:49 pm

I tend not to use film images when I'm reading but voices I do. When I hear certain characters in LoTR I'm hearing the bbc radio versions, particularly Gandalf (Sir Michael Horden) and Gollum (Peter Woodthorpe-he also did the Bakshi version. Andy Serkis wasn't a bad Gollum voice but he lacks the emotion and pitifulness Woodthorpe brings to it-but Woodthorpe has a much better script than Serkis to work with).

Tinuviel

Imagination

Post#4 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:34 pm

The characters in the book to me RESEMBLE the characters in the movies, but they always seem less human in my mind. They aren't quite perfect, because it's what my mind conjures after reading a description. I like them better in my head because that's the way they're meant to look like; they have that solid base of actually lookng real because of the movies and then Tolkiens descriptions alter them. Its great!

Noom Chevaline

Imagination

Post#5 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 am

pettytyrant101

Imagination

Post#6 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:46 am

That's the ones Noom. Any one who thinks (like me) that PJ and the Coven made a complete mess of adaptation should listen to these to see how much better it could have been done. Not perfect (not entirely sold on their solution to getting in the info normally put into a prologue) but overall highly, highly recommended. If anyone at the BBC reads this- animate that series!!(And hire me! You'll need me to tell you where you're going wrong :D ) A fantastic cast (and best of all you don't even have to pay them all as some have shuffled off this mortal coil). So come on Beeb- do something good for once with all that tax money.
To bring this back (slightly) to the thread topic, it might however be tricky in the imagination after listening to the plays to have Ian Holm's Bilbo in mind (he is brilliant at it and the best hobbit in the films) and Ian Holm as Frodo (also brilliant, shame he didn't find time for a chat with Elijah on how to act the role).

chris63

Imagination

Post#7 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 pm

How did you imagine Treebeard before the movies ? My memery is clouded with the annimated version.

Thanks for the link on the BBC series, sounds great.

Tinuviel

Imagination

Post#8 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 pm

I never knew how to picture him. I guess much like the animated version, only alittle more human looking... I'm not really sure!!!!! And according the to the behind the scenes footage on TTT, neither did PJ!!!!

Elrond

Imagination

Post#9 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 pm

he was one of the only characters that i didnt see, i never really thought about it, but when i did i always imagined him as a big tree with a voice eminating from somewhere inside, (dont ask how he moved, even i dont know) i was so glad when weta gave my something to visualise :roll:
what did other people imagine gandalf and aragorn to look like???

Fimbrethil

Imagination

Post#10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:57 pm

For the most part I see the characters from PJs movie. I watched the Fellowship first then read TTT and ROTK so the movie influence was what I was exposed to first.
Treebeard was totally different then I thought in PJs version. I kind of pictured him more humaniod and less tree-like.

I thought the characters in Bakshi's version were quite ridiculous looking. Boromir the barbarian hahahaha! And the no pants thing...However the film portrayed alot of the emotions quite well.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”