The Hunt for Gollum

Ringdrotten

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:00 pm

Couldn't find a thread for this movie, and in my opinion it deserves one!

Here's a link to it, for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H09xnhl ... re=channel

What do you guys think about it? Apart from some (very) cheesy lines, and some almost copied from Jackson's movies, I quite like it! Very nice locations and settings, the acting is good (again, some cheesy stuff, but mostly good). The actors takes some getting used to though, after seeing Jackson's movies, but I don't think that is a problem. I quite like the Gandalf in this one :) Overall, I think it's great, better than most fan-made stuff out there!

Keep in mind that this film had a budget of 5000$ though, so take that into consideration.

Any thoughts?

pettytyrant101

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#2 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:49 pm

There's a thread for this in other fantasy stories Ringdrotten, not surprised you missed it though its slipped down to page 2 or 3. Feel free to revive it.

Ally

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:03 pm

It is brilliant. Seriously for the budget, the acting is excellent and some of the locations are stunning. It is very similar to PJs, but that's only because it was meant to be! (The film is a prequel to PJ). That's all I have to say, anything more I will contribute to the other thread.

Ringdrotten

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#4 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:26 pm

pettytyrant101 wrote:There's a thread for this in other fantasy stories Ringdrotten, not surprised you missed it though its slipped down to page 2 or 3. Feel free to revive it.

I'll read through it and see if there's anything new to add :)

Eldorion

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#5 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:32 pm

I liked TH4G better than it's sister-project Born of Hope. Most people seem to think the opposite but I didn't really see what the hype was about. TH4G wasn't perfect but it was a great fan-film. 8-)

Ringdrotten

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Hmm, Born of Hope? Haven't seen that one! I'll put some time aside tomorrow and see it, what's the plot in that one? (no spoilers though :lol: )

Eldorion

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#7 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:59 pm

It's the director's conception of the backstory to Aragorn's birth: the marriage of Arathorn and Gilraen and the plight of the Northern Dunedain in general. It also features the director herself in a rather prominent acting role.

Ringdrotten

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#8 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Hmm, should be interesting. Definitely worth a watch!

pettytyrant101

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#9 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 pm

I liked it. More than I did PJ's films although it owes them a lot for direction style and looks, which like H4G is a deliberate choice. There's a thread for BoH here somewhere, I'd guess its in the 'other fantasy stories' bit too but I haven't looked to check.

Ringdrotten

The Hunt for Gollum

Post#10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Watched Born of Hope today, and I'm once again impressed! The love drama wasn't much to my taste though, but the rest was great! I would be an ass if I was to start complaining. They seemed more "pro" this time. The amount of dialogue in Elvish (right?) was impressing, one of many things that shows the effort these people have made making these movies.

Also, great acting. Especially Arathorn! He really looked very "Arathorn-like" as well. The costumes and weapons were awesome (again), and the locations were once again fantastic. This time they were even better in my opinion, especially the Dunedain camp. The fight scenes looked pro too, the first one was epic :D

One question though, it's been a while since I read the part about Arathorn and Gilraen and the Dunedain, but is this really how it happened in the book? Some of the stuff (the three-way love drama for instance) seemed slightly made up, so to speak. I also seem to remember that Arathorn went to some mountains/other place with Elledan and Elrohir, not that they were attacked in the camp. Not that it bothered me, just curious. After all, this isn't a big change compared to Jackson's changes :P(if it is a change at all)

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”