Why not eagles?

thefunnyhobbit

Why not eagles?

Post#1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:14 am

I'm just wondering why Frodo and sam just used the eagles to fly to Mordor, and Aragorn and the others could distract The Eye of Sauron? It would go a lot faster if you ask me. Or maybe it's just the thrill of the hunt? They perhaps couldn't borrow the eagles? Or does it make the book more exciting?

arwen undómiel

Why not eagles?

Post#2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 am

I simply think it's because it wouldn't give our dear professor the change to tell the story he wanted to tell. He wrote a story and a story behind it. He wouldn't have been able to write the story behind it if it's just such a short story. It's a wonderful story. I don't really get the point of your post because if you really like the story you wouldn't want to change it. And you wouldn't even really think of it. Or is that just me?
''Loyalty is the only moral instinct that can exist on the same plane as truth itself. They may clash, but one can never overcome the other without cost.''

Semper Fi ⚓ ∞

Namárië

brego

Why not eagles?

Post#3 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Also the Eagles weren't there to be "Used" they were their own beings and only lent help when they and or Manwe wanted to. Flying into Mordor at Its full strength would have been a suicide mission while the Nazgul were around and Giant Eagles would certainly have alerted Sauron that something was up.

ben dan

Why not eagles?

Post#4 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:09 am

agree with breg, eagles are not for Use,and siting on them to modor is telling Soron what they are up to, it almost like delare war.

Balrogs R Us

Why not eagles?

Post#5 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:01 am

I always considered the eagles a sort of deus ex machina. It's like the hand of god. Look at all the evil in the world as we know it....how many beams of light come from the clouds to save the day? It's just not the way of things. That's why whenever the eagles DO intervene it's a really big deal!

arwen undómiel

Why not eagles?

Post#6 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:08 am

Yes, I also agree with Brego and Balrogs. ;)
''Loyalty is the only moral instinct that can exist on the same plane as truth itself. They may clash, but one can never overcome the other without cost.''

Semper Fi ⚓ ∞

Namárië

Elbereth

Why not eagles?

Post#7 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 pm

I agree with the last posts, for me, the eagles mean the "last option" to be used; as those tools on which is written "only use in case of emergency" (just to make an idea). The eagles have their own lives and rules, they cannot be used as a horse for example. They are wild, huge and aren't easy to see so that makes me think, they have a life aside the story, as if they weren't a part of middle-earth, something sacred, a sort of Tom Bombadil... 

ben dan

Why not eagles?

Post#8 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 pm

I don't take eagles as such sacred creatures. I think they are just intelligent beings like human, live in their own way with proud and pure mind, something like elves, keep away from cunning and greedy Mankind.

But went into Mordor by eagles not a efficient way, they are big enough and famous enough to alarm Sauron who had equal weapons to confront eagles.

brego

Why not eagles?

Post#9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

All agreed. Tolkien's eagles, the giant sentient giant variety, were not really birds at all. They are probably inhabited by minor Maia spirits in the service of Manwe. They had a purpose in Arda and that was to bring news and carry out errands for The Valar and never to the beck and call of Eru's children. If the took kindly on Gandalf and co it was only because of their hatred of the Orcs.

Marghana

Why not eagles?

Post#10 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Remember also that Olorin, AKA Gandalf, was a Maia who came to Middle Earth as an Istari at the specific request of Manwë himself.  So Gandalf and the eagles were really on the same team, and it was his wise way to not set power against power...  Our beloved wizard would call on the eagles only as a very last resort --as several Planetarians have said above-- or perhaps he didn't even call them and they were sent by the Elder King himself (in the case of the Battle of Five Armies).

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”