Fellowship - things that go amiss..

Huan

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thank you all for your contirbutions. And now I know how to edit. Yippee. Sorry, novice to this stuff.
Concerning Hobbit/Elven recognition, seems that the proximity should have created mutual contact. Maybe not, seeing as both communities were quite insular. The Hobbit community in Bree (along the Dwarf roads) should have created at least minimal lore and history of the communities - obviously not. I think the main reason for ignorance of the Hobbits, is the same mistake that Sauraman made. Ignorance of little people because they had no important history, lore or doings.They were so to speak the farmers and peasants in a World of Knights, Loremasters and History. Basically the Elves, had nothing to learn from Hobbits. Gildor's knowledge, was just recent knowledge of the Frodo trip - not ancient knowledge. As the Dunédain were watching they obviously had contact with Gildors groups.
The Nazgul, like Tom Bombadil and other charcaters remain an enigma to me. The are formidable foes, striking fear into the hearts of all - even Gandalf and Aragorn. Yet they "accomplsih" nothing in the LOTR. In fact they are consistantly "vanquished". I think this is why even in Bashkis animated version and Jackson's version, we have difficulty really identifying these characters.
I believe however - sorry - that Bashki's characters were scarier and forgive me also but the chase to the Fords of Bruinen, was very well done in the animation - I'm a little dubious of the film version. Certainly exciting, but how many different sceneries can you ride through in one set action piece.
Thank you all

Huan

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ooops - sorry agbout all the spelling mistakes. Of course not Farmer Giles - just a literary mix up

Ungoliant

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Grondie could clarify the Rivendell-Grey Havens road better since he's a map freak. :)

I don't think the hobbits & Elves would have interacted that much around the war of the Ring period. The Shire Hobbits were a pretty insular bunch of people & frowned upon any outside contact with Elves, Men & Dwarves. They weren't always so isolated - I think they interacted pretty closely with other races right up to the 1650s, when the Great Plague wiped out almost all the hobbits outside of Bree/Shire area. The ones left didn't really see much reason to maintain contact with the outside world. The wars with Angband (some Shire areas were destroyed) also reinforced their isolation from the rest of ME. The modern Bree Hobbits were more cosmopolitan though - they interacted freely with Men (wasn't Nob a hobbit)?

As for the Elves - well, I think they knew more about the hobbits than vice-versa. Didn't Gildor say to Frodo - "We know (or have seen you) before" or something like that, and knew about Frodo's intended journey (from Gandalf, I think). Of course, don't have the book here, can't quote exact passages.

The One Ring - I think the Ring was only fully activated if it was worn by someone. Otherwise the Nazhul could vaguely sense it, but not truly confirm its exact location. The Nazghul Lord only saw Frodo when he had the ring on (Weathertop scene) but not, as you said, on the Old Road before they reached Farmer Maggot's mushroom farms.

The Black Riders - dunno, they were too weak at that time, maybe? Sauron had not regained his full strengh yet (no ring), so his ability to strengthen or influence his minions decreased relative to their distance from him.

chikakat

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Huan..you might already know this, but I'll tell you anyhow :)

If you see a spelling mistake after you've posted something, you can go back and edit it. There's a little button at the end of the post that says 'edit'. If you click on that, you get another shot at your post.

grondmaster

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Great East Road passed through the center of The Shire about a mile north of the Three Farthing Stone, passing through the villages of Whitfurrows, Frogmorton, Waymeet, and Michel Delving. It parallels The Water in the East Farthing an passes about two miles south of Bywater and four miles south og Hobbiton.

I doubt it the Elves travelled that road by day and even if they did the hobbits probably couldn't see them because they were too practical; couldn't be bothered with such comings and goings.; like they put up mental blinders. Bilbo and Frodo were elf-friends so they knew what to look for, if you see what I mean.

The Black Rider's strength was probably inversely proportional to the square of their distance from Mordor. And their strength in numbers was probably greater than the sum of their numbers strengths. ie 9F > SigmaF9 :D

Also that movie race to the Buckleburry Ferry was a farce as was the distraction of the tossed rock. And where were Gildor and Company anyway? How did Arwen/Glorfindal know to search for the Hobbits without Gildor?
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Totally with you on the Bakshi thing.
And all the other stuff I'm going to ascribe to literary device so that the story gets to work properly. As i often sem to say round here, It's only a book, it's not real or anything :)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

chikakat

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Black Rider's strength was probably inversely proportional to the square of their distance from Mordor. And their strength in numbers was probably greater than the sum of their numbers strengths. ie 9F > SigmaF9

Yeesh, Grondy...haha...;)

As for the black riders not getting anything accomplished, I think that's important because their one and only purpose was to get the ring...had they gotten what they wanted to accomplish done, there wouldn't have been much of a story to tell.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Very true. And have you anymore Tolkien equasions Grondy? Cos they make no sense to me at all, but I love the idea!

TomBombadillo

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Huan, you're not saying Tom Bombadil is a "formidable foe" right? :P
As for the Riders: were they attrackted to the Ring or the Ring-bearer? I mean, didn't they just smell it when Frodo or anyone else had it on? That would explain, of course...
And chika's right. The Nazgul were sent out only by Sauron to fetch him the Ring. That was their one and only purpose and they failed... That's all that's in it, really... :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If you got on the wrong side of him then Tom Bombadil would indeed make a formidable foe, i reckon. But I think Huan (correct me if I'm wrong please) just meant that he was somewhat of an enigma.

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”