Tolkien's comparisons to religious figures

grondmaster

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Absolutely not, however, some have mistakenly made that assumption. I Recommend you read Professor Tolkien's Forward to The Fellowship of the Ring and also our thread entitled [u]God in Lord of the Rings[/u] found under [u]The Golden Perch[/u] under [u]Taverns[/u].
'Share and enjoy'

ProgHead777

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, Tolkien would have had a heart attack at the mention of such a thing. Although his creation myth is quite clearly inspired by the biblical account, I don't believe any of the events depicted after that warrant biblical comparisons. And while the Valar and the Maiar might be analogous to biblical angels, I don't think Tolkien wanted them to be thought of as one and the same. I can't see any parallels between Aragorn or Gandalf and Jesus Christ though.
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

TomBombadillo

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:soangry: I reckon this might be Tolkien's reaction to the mere mentioning of any link between LOTR and religion. :soangry:

Not that I mind you mentioning... Interesting theory I think, but I don't think it would work. :cool:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Rosie_Cotton

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Why do people always have to complicate the issue? Surely that it is an excellent book is enough, it doesn't have to be connected to the Bible or whatever. As a Christian I can see very little/ no parallels to the Bible in the Lord of the Rings.
Another thing that annoys me is that fantasy books are never related to any other religion only Christianity. Why is that? :mad:
Anyway I'm not really stressed with people telling me I shouldn't read such *evil* books :paranoid:
So in agreement with the others I don't think there is really any link :D :D
(Sorry for the little stress up there!!)

Samwisegamgee

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good quotes, Rednell. When Tolkien refers to Gandalf as an angel, I strongly think he is thinking about the origans of the word (angelos=messenger etc, as you said). One thing that is said (whether by Tolkien himself or by that gentleman Mr. Tom Shippey, I forgot)is that Frodo=Froda. This I find highly likely: it says in the appendix that the names of the boy hobbits have been altered from ending in 'a' to ending in 'o', thus the name Frodo was Froda. And if this were not evidence enough of a philologist's intention, the characters of Frodo and Froda are simliar, they both support peace. Froda was a Danish (???) king. In ancient writings are hints of a Frodi and a Froda, who are believed to be the same person, both this Danish king. They are sometimes related to Frey, either great worshippers of him, descendants of him, or even manisfestations of him. The historical reign of Frodi/Froda was known as the Peace of Frodi, during which there were no wars and no crime. When the king died, his death was concealed, for his thanes feared that if their enemies knew their king was dead they would attack. (compare this to the scenareo at the end of Beowulf, one of many pieces Tolkien studied) Froda/Frodi is not associated with Christian religous figures as far as I know.
I am rambling!!! Someone tell me to stop!!!!! ;)

TomBombadillo

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sam: stop! :winking:

No, interesting theory, though it might be easier to read if you split up long posts into paragraphs. I just hate reading really long posts that aren't divided into paragraphs. Sorry about that, but I really think that would make it easier to read. Though this posts wasn't *that* long. :P:

grondmaster

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Agreed about the length thing Tommie, I find that about five lines per paragraph is a nice length, of course if the subject matter doesn't fit into five line bundles, that it is another matter. I also hate it when every sentence in web news stories is assigned to a new paragraph even though the subject remains the same as the preceding one.

Oh, and Samwise, don't worry about rambling we don't mind as long as it is interesting and on topic. I found what you were saying very enlightening, but when I get interrupted while reading, it is easier to find my way back to where I was if the paragraphs are shorter, thus my five line optimum. :)
'Share and enjoy'

TomBombadillo

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hear hear Grondy! :thumbup:

PlasticSquirrel

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sam, definitely don't stop rambling. That's about the most interesting thing I've read here so far today. Thanks. I was very into Norse mythology a couple of years ago, but I got really slack and stopped researching it, so any information you churn out to make JRR look like the rip-off merchant he was is more than welcome.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

grondmaster

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There he goes again, trying to drum up another argument, er discussion, via a sacrilegious statement. Are you all going to let him get away with it? :funnylaugh:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”