Question!

Ungoliant

Question!

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I believe she becomes mortal, but I'm not quite sure when & how. Was there some sort of magical transformation during or after the wedding vows were pledged? Or did she give it up much earlier, in some Elven secret ceremony before she left Rivendell for Minas Tirith? Or during her last farewell with Elrond? Or did it gradually fade away?

How does an Elf give up his/her immortality anyway? Or course, that lead to the question: Is a mortal Elf a human?

Anyone?

TomBombadillo

Question!

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

When marrying a mortal, an elf looses his immortality I guess. Arwen chose for that, and so did Luthien. But don't ask me how it actually works, cos I don't know. This is all I know really. About this... :elfwink:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

valedhelgwath

Question!

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

And yet, Tuor, who was mortal but married and elf (Idril), was allowed into Eldamar so both of them finished up Immortal... Seems to me to be a case of, "if your face fits" where the Valar are concerned.

TomBombadillo

Question!

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Good point there I guess. Tolkien again? :P:

ladyoflegolas

Question!

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Say that again? She becomes mortal, but can still do elv-y things? :elfroleeyes:

grondmaster

Question!

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Say that again? She becomes mortal, but can still do elv-y things? :elfroleeyes:
What pray tell are elv-y things?--That question is asked of everyone, not just Lady of Legolas, and it wasn't meant to be sarcastic--Can elves do anything other than become skilled in many more things than humans due to their immortality? Do they have any racial endowed attributes that humans don't have, and don't tell me infravision, I don't buy into that? I will accept that Legolas could see farther with clarity, because Tolkien so wrote. :)
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Question!

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I believe it was written though, that the elves could see as well in starlight as a man could by the light of day. Something to do with the Early ages of Middle Earth, when the elves awoke, having no light other than the stars. The light of the two trees did not light Middle Earth, and the sun did not rise until the Noldor returned at the start of the First Age.

TomBombadillo

Question!

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Other than that they have a very light footfall, and because of that they are able to walk upon the snow while the others have to wade through it. :D Right?

grondmaster

Question!

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes both of you are right. Anymore?
'Share and enjoy'

Eryan

Question!

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

They do not sleep like us hymans, but may repose their minds with eyes wide open while standing "as a young tree" (Legolas in TT) or even when running (Legolas again). They seem to be immune to sickness (Silmarillion), although they may be wounded and slain, and become "as aged among Men" as a consequence of long years of torment (Gwindor in Silmarillion).
Apart from being able to see well in dim light, they also have very keen vision in normal light (Legolas could see an eagle invisible to any other from the Company, and he could see the Riders of Rohan from far away whiile Aragorn and Giimli could still see nothing!).nn[Edited on 19/9/2002 by Eryan]

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”