Thoroughly disaffected

Ungoliant

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Phew! Thought it was only me, Plastic. Happened to me a long time ago, and many times since.

I could tell you what I did to lift my spirits & enable me to return whistling happily to LoTR, but I'd probably get banned for life. ;)

TomBombadillo

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I know the feeling. I wanted to re-read it, but I decided not to, cos I didn't really fancy reading everything all over again. Sigh. :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

grondmaster

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

*Plastic Me thinks you turned the reading into work of work instead of an act of love. Go ahead put TTT aside and read the Huxley.

You can go back to the Tolkien when the urge returns as I'm sure it will. It may not be tomorrow, or next week, or month, or year, but there will come a time when you will suddenly open one of the books and start again down those dangerous paths that lead from Bag End's door, just by merely opening the book.
'Share and enjoy'

chikakat

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

oh good good...apparently Tolkien apathy hits everyone at some point...I'm not just screwed up after all! ;) :D

PlasticSquirrel

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Golly, mail it to me, I'm interested now! And it's got worse, I was going to go and see the movie again today, but I just can't be bothered, I'll wait for video. I'm sitting here watching my Humphrey Bogart collection again, and it's great!!!!!!
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

swampfaye

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can so sympathise Plastic! I'm re reading it now (we are reading it as a family, but since trying to pay attention while 8 and 9 year olds read Tolkien at 3 words per minute is almost torture, I'm reading it also on my own). Is it cheating if I just skip the wordy parts and read the dialog and backtrack if I get lost???

chikakat

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Is it cheating if I just skip the wordy parts and read the dialog and backtrack if I get lost???

haha...not at all (I hope!)...I do it all the time...

PlasticSquirrel

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Try and ignore all the songs and poems, or you'll go mad!! :)
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ungoliant

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

S'not cheating at all...I tend to jump back & forth nowadays anyway. And I always ignore the poems & songs...unless it's Gollum's bit, that Elbereth thing or 'To The Sea!', or if the bath's nice & warm.

You're very patient, swampfaye...how long have your kids been reading it? And which part are they at now?

Plastic, when I get bored of Tolkien, I always watch SW. Or football. Or play pc games. Or read other books. Get plastered. If all else fails, then I jump on hubby. :)

grondmaster

Thoroughly disaffected

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I haven't done a re-read for a couple years; that doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the books. They say "Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." :D

And I struggled through "Earendil Was a Mariner" only once. And that was because I thought it was about my favorite baseball team--see we don't need no stinkin A-Rod, Griffey, or Randy Johnson. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”