What scene did you miss?

Boring

What scene did you miss?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The monster of the deep

chikakat

What scene did you miss?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

the friendship between Legolas and Gimli...at Crickhollow, when Merry and Pippin and Sam tell Frodo they know all his plans, etc...Frodo singing about the man in the moon at the Prancing Pony...

PlasticSquirrel

What scene did you miss?

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I missed the whole crickhollow thing, and the giving away of Bilbo's stuff. Really wanted to see Lobelia get in a huff.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ungoliant

What scene did you miss?

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

At Rivendell:
Pippin: "You need someone with intelligence along.." (something like that)
Gandalf sticks head through the window: "Then you certainly will not be chosen, Pippin.."

'Course, I haven't seen it yet, the rest have assured me that it's been left out. So I'm sure I'll miss that. :(

chikakat

What scene did you miss?

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

there was a lot of little random humorous things left out...ex what Ungoliant just said, and the part where Frodo won't answer the door for Gandalf when he thinks it's the S.B's...I would have liked to see a lot more of that in the movie

PlasticSquirrel

What scene did you miss?

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

yeah but they put that in as Bilbo not answering the door cos he's fed up of people trying to find out about his Party.

TomBombadillo

What scene did you miss?

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Boring: wasn't the monster of the deep in the film?
My answer is obvious of course: I really missed the Old Forest part. Not just because of Tom Bombadil, but also because I thought it all went too fast in the beginning of the movie. You have the party, then Bilbo leaves, Gandalf leaves, returns the same evening, Frodo must leave immediately (instead of having 30 years in between to live), they head for Bree, and they arrive there shortly afterwards. No Old Forest. :( It didn't seem to make sense in the beginning of the movie...
But also the scenes when the gifts are distributed, when Frodo and Merry catch people in the house, when Lobelia and Otho come to see the will, when Gandalf would 'blast his door right through his hole and out the hill'. It's stuff like that that you miss most. :(
But considering what they've left in, it's still a good film. :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

swampfaye

What scene did you miss?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

With all due respect, I don't miss the Tom Bombadillo part at all. That never made sense to me... I can't understand why it is in the book. It has no real connection with the novel. You can take it out and make it a short story on it's own, but Tom has no real important place in the trillogy and is kinda a "toss away" character. He doesn't influence or affect the hobbits. He doesn't even give them anything (like Galadriels' gifts) that make any lasting effect in the future scenes. I think Tom is one of the postAuthorIDs biggest flaws. I think it was just a favorite character he came up with and didn't know what to do with him, so just picked a place to stick him in.

Jehanne

What scene did you miss?

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

You know, I said that to a friend of mine (that I didn't miss Tom Bombadil) after we saw it the first time, and I swear he almost punched me (he's high strung). I've read all sorts of explanations for why Tom's there- he's a lininal character between the hobbits' idyllic world and the harsh world outside, he's a portrait of isolationists, blah blah blah... any explantion you can think of. And none of them really work for me. So yeah, I agree. I think Tolkien just liked old Tom and wanted to get him in somewhere. Maybe he should have lifted that part out and made a book, like The Hobbit. Something short and sweet. But I just don't see why so many people were upset that he wasn't in the movie. He's not even important in the book.

um... no offense meant, Tommy.

PlasticSquirrel

What scene did you miss?

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Ooooh! You guys are gonna cause a storm here. I don't care anymore (which is just as well) but a lot of people are gonna argue this one with you, just wait and see....

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”