Where does Gandalf come from?

Peredhil

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I'd just like to add that the Istari were Maiar.
A mind full of fire and a fistful of steel.

Allyssa

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Strictly speaking, the Istari were forbidden to take up lasting abodes.

Saruman, however, seems to have considered himself above such directives and since he was the leader of the order, the other wizards do not seem to have had the postAuthorIDitiy to stop him. This disobedience was probably the first sign of the 'taint' or 'corruption' of his spirit.
"May the Angels Guide"

Einar

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks!
But in which book is talked about the other wizards?

Faramir

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Unfinished tales has a rather large chapter named "Istari" and they are also mentioned in The Silmarillion as well.

rednell

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think you may be right about this being a sign of Saruman's impending corruption, Allyssa, even if he, himself didn't see it as such. It would seem that he managed to convince even himself that his residency at Isengard was in the best interest of Middle Earth.
From Unfinished Tales/The Battles of the Fords of Isen:
It can thus be readily understood that when Saruman offered to take command of Isengard and repair it and reorder it as part of the defences of the West he was welcomed both by King Frealaf and by Beren the Stewart. So when Saruman took up his abode in Isengard, and Beren gave to him the keys of Orthanac, the Rohirrim returned to their policy of guarding the Fords of Isen, as the most vulnerable point in their western frontier.
There can be little doubt that Saruman made his offer in good faith, or at least with good will towards the defence of the West, so long as he himself remained the chief person in that defence, and the head of its council. He was wise, and perceived clearly that Isengard with its position adn it great strength, natural and by craft, was of utmost importance.

Littleirena

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Now that the subject is sorta brought up, i have an other question concerning Gandalf(and all the other races).

We all know that hobbits are hobbits , Elves are Elves, Humans are Humans, but are Wizards born into Wizard famillies, or was there simply a few wizrds apointed at the begining of time?

That's my -strange- question :D

:wiggle:

grondmaster

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There were only five wizards and we know that the main three Saruman, Gandalf, and Radagast did not marry, at least not while on duty in Middle-earth. From this we may conject that the other two, the blue wizards who went into the east to counter the works of Sauron and were never heard from again during these tales, also remained unmarried, unless maybe they didn't and that is why they dropped off the radar. Be that as it may, if you want to find non-Muggle families, you must visit to the works of JK Rowling (whose fifth book I now hear is finally scheduled to be released in June). :elfbiggrin:
'Share and enjoy'

PlasticSquirrel

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Erm, if getting yourself a place to live is so bad guys, then how come Radagast the not at all bad lives in Rhosgobel Hmmm?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Ross

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yup.
We all know that hobbits are hobbits , Elves are Elves, Humans are Humans, but are Wizards born into Wizard famillies, or was there simply a few wizrds apointed at the begining of time?

There were other wizards, quite a few of the nazgul were scorcerers before they took the rings of power, some elves have magical powers as do some humans, like the Druedain and there ability to create wooden idols that would defend people or places.
Sod off I'm busy!

Aulë

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Erm, if getting yourself a place to live is so bad guys, then how come Radagast the not at all bad lives in Rhosgobel Hmmm?

Great! Thanks Plastic....I have been wondering where Radagast lives.....but where is Rhosgobel located?
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Return to “The Lord of the Rings”