The House of Finwe: what's your opinion?

bugyfeanor

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for your comment, Val; I really apreciated! Btw, if I may add a little comment to your description: I think u forgot the 'brave' part of the House of Feanor! (sorry, couldn't help myself! hehe)

As for the rest, what can I say? U must have an opinion, right? I don't care what is it, you're all welcomed to post here! But, if u need a push, I'll go first ...

Why do I like the Noldor that much? IMHO, they are the most creative Eldar; they did learn mostly from Aule, after all!!! Also, their nature was creative too ...
Of course, my favourite House of the Noldor is Feanor's! I subscribe to what Val had to say about them, yet I think he left out some other characteristics: self determination, strong will, eagerness and courage.
The House of Fingolfin is almost as great as the first one; it gave true leaders (Fingolfin, Fingon, Turgon and Gil-galad - all of them High Kings of the Noldor!), but it also gave hope (don't forget that Earendil is the son of Idril, Turgon's daughter!).
Two of my dearest characters belong to the House of Finarfin: Finrod and Galadriel. They are the wisest Noldor and Felagund is the sincerest friend Men ever had!

My favourite Elf: Feanor! Why? Just read the chapters concerning him, in the Silm! (especially chapter 6)

My favourite city: Tirion upon Tuna! It is the fairest city of the Elves! Oh, yea ... Gondolin's great, too, but stiil just an image of Tirion!

OK, done! I'm expecting your posts now!

Namarie!
Evil may yet be good to have been ... and yet remain evil. (Silmarillion)

Elfstone

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I love the Noldor! They’re without a doubt my favorite out of all the Elves (not to mention the greatest of all the Elves)! I have to say that with a few exceptions, I pretty much love the whole House of Finwe, but if I were forced to choose between the three Houses mentioned I would have to say that my favorite House is the House of Finarfin (Finrod and Galadriel are two of my most favorite Elves also).

Next for me would be the House of Fingolfin (I’m extremely partial toward the bloodline of Indis the fair). I love Fingolfin (chilling on my avatar), Fingon, and Turgon. Fingolfin is definitely way up there on my list of all time favorite Elves.

Sorry but my least favorite House of the three is the House of Feanor. I respect Feanor for being the greatest and most powerful of all the Noldor, but he did way too many things that really ticked me off. IMHO, Feanor is the first bad apple out of all the Elves, and really the second bad apple next to Melkor. I can’t forgive him for his role in the Kinslaying of Alqualonde, and for leaving Fingolfin and the rest of the Noldor out to dry. I don’t have much love for the sons of Feanor either, but I do really like Maedhros and Maglor.

All hail the Noldor, the greatest of the Children of Illuvatar! :elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

grondmaster

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

One thing you can say for Fëanor, without him our epic would certainly have been different, possibly it would have been relegated to the dustbin of history.
So here's to Fëanor! :alchaholic: Long may his story be told.
And thank you J.R.R.T., for bringing him to our attention. :theking:
'Share and enjoy'

bugyfeanor

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

First of all, thanks for posting here, Elf-stone and Grondy!

Elf-stone, you're my first Noldor fan! *praises Eru for that* So, I've got myself a Fingolfin on my head, right? *in the good Feanorian tradition, tries to get rid of his younger brother!* hehe, jk! You're more than welcomed here, full brother in heart! May all your House soon join you!

IMHO, Feanor is the first bad apple out of all the Elves, and really the second bad apple next to Melkor.

Well, brother, let's not forget the really bad apples: Sauron, the Balrogs, Ungoliant etc. I don't think Feanor could compete with them! I also think his deeds were not so terrible until he swore that d**n oath! And even after that, u have to understand his sole purpose was to destroy Morgoth; anybody who stood in his path was doomed!

And, Grondy, long will his story be told, indeed; and long will people wonder to hear his great deeds!
Now, while waiting for people to post here, I'd like to repeat what Elfstone said: "All hail the Noldor, the greatest of the Children of Iluvatar!"

Namarie!

valedhelgwath

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

"All hail the Noldor, the greatest of the Children of Iluvatar!"
Can you imagine what it must have looked like to see a full army of Noldor when they were at their peak (for instance, when Turgon's army arrived from Gondolin). They must have been truely awesome in battle. PJ manages to show us a little of how it could have been with his shots of the Last Alliance at the beginning of FotR. Whatever, being stronger and more athletic than Men, they must have been terrible opponents to have to face in battle.

I often try to place myself in the places of those early Men, the Edain, when they first came into contact with the elves. Their cultures and technologies were so much more advanced, it must have been similar to us coming across an advanced alien society now days.

What I like also is the way the Noldor took those early Men and taught them. Human's in contrast have a terrible habit of making war on anything different that they find.

bugyfeanor

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Mae govannen!

Yeah, Val, it must have been more than impressive: every Noldor army would've faced little resistance when they came back to ME!

What I like also is the way the Noldor took those early Men and taught them. Human's in contrast have a terrible habit of making war on anything different that they find.

Excellent put, Val: human intollerance frightens me! As for the Noldor, they were the most willing to teach Men, whom they befriended and took in thei service.

Welcome, Ringfacwen! I'm always glad to meet a HoF fan, and especially a Feanorian! Concerning the 'Fingolfin' part, what can I say? Join Elfstone: now there are two of u! ;) hehehe

Namarie!

Aulë

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don´t think that Fëanor was evil.....just too darn proud....but one thing I do think is that if Morgoth the Accursed had not slain Finwë, Fëanor would not have been so rash to abandon Aman and assail Morgoth.....because Finwë was dearer to Fëanor then all the jewels in Arda even the Sils....so here is to Morgoth for slaying Finwë :alchaholic: and starting this great tale.:D

Still I do not like the manner of the Golodhrim....my way is better:orcthumbs:
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

virumor

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have mixed feelings about the house of Feanor : they are all arrogant twits, except maybe Maglor a bit. At least he took pity on Elrond and Elros. But otherwise, despite their stupid actions and atrocities, at least they started some excitement in Middle-Earth (together with good old Morgoth).

The house of Fingolfin is better : Fingolfin looked great by troubling Morgoth's day, although it was a waste of time and energy (and a waste of life too maybe); his children aren't that great though.

The house of Finarfin is probably best : they were the most noble and wise, especially Finrod - to me he is the perfect (Elvish) son-in-law. If there were a movie about the Silmarillion (*knocks wood*) i think all gals would replace their Legolamb-posters by Finrod-posters. Galadriel is cool too - she's a woman with balls. The other kids of Finarfin aren't special.

And about Finwe himself : i didn't like it that much that he preferred his son Feanor.

Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

bugyfeanor

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thx for your posts, Aule and Vir! I'll try to explain some of Noldor actions!

First of all, Aule, I'd like to say I'm surprised: I thought u hated Feanor! I was mistaking - nothing new there - so ...
That's just my opinion too: Feanor cared for his father a lot more than for those Silms! This should answer your question too, Vir (why did Finwe preferred Feanor?), though it's not the only explanation.

I must say I'm a bit concerned about your opinion on Morgoth :funnylaugh: That Black Foe of the World did some n***y stuff after all! I have to admit, though, that the story wouldn't even be a 'story' without the good old Constrainer! hehehe As for Fingolfin's sons, I think they are among the greatest Eldar Kings ever! I especially like Fingon for saving Maedhros and for his valiant stand against Gothmog; he died a hero's death, just like his uncle Feanor! (actually, just like most of his relatives) And let's not forget Ereinion Gil-galad whou bravely fought with Sauron, mortaly wounding him, though he paid for that with his life! May all the Noldor find their peace in Mandos' Halls!

Namarie!

Return to “The Silmarillion”