Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

eruwen

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#101 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:20 pm

Or mass hysteria or dynamics of the mass. We had enough of that when a politician got murdered here... I think our country never got the same after that.

Very true -- and mass hysteria and dynamics of the masses are usual powered by the fear of chaos. Oh, and perhaps embarrassment or guilt, I suppose (which is the reason many soldiers went to war during the Vietnam draft even if they disagreed with it). But, I suppose it also could be seen as the fear of what others would think of them if they didn't "do their duty" (especially authority figures, such as parents, or their own conscience/superego).

eruwen

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#102 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:22 pm

I would say there is nothing unexplainable with the natural world. Although a lot of the explanations are still hidden from us, there is no reason to think it impossible to find them.

How the human mind works, however, now that is a mystery.

Unless of course you are of the school of thought or religion where the natural world is purely seen as a projection of the human mind :)

GrevBukMcJern

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#103 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:35 pm

Unless of course you are of the school of thought or religion where the natural world is purely seen as a projection of the human mind

Ah! :) But oddly enough even such strange quantum theories result in an "world" which follows certain rules, and these rules can be observed thus revealing the system behind it. Basically, you don't need to know how the computer work in order understand the rules of solitaire. ;)

If you were thinking philosophy more than quantum physics, me myself quite liked Kants view.
To go as far as Descartes only makes you doubt the point of getting out of bed. Or am I still sleeping? Hmmm..
What are you looking down here for?

eruwen

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#104 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:14 pm

Hmmm...unfortunately, I don't know a lot about Kant, but I was thinking more along the lines of Plato, Blake and Hinduism (that's it...not much :), just a philosophical, mystical and religious sense).

I think there are systems to many things, but the human mind does seem to be a bit out of reach...at least one might hope -- if (unlike Descartes) we believe it is tied to the soul.

Vee

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#105 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:05 pm

Descartes, Kant.... reminds me of the Monty Python song.... The Philosopher's Song (I think)(therefore I might be)

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy begger
Who could drink you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume,
Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel.
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates himself was permanently pissed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say could stick it away,
Half a crate of whiskey everyday.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a @*$$"! for the bottle,
Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And René DesCartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."

Socrates himself is particularly missed.
A lovely little thinker but a @*$$"! when he's pissed.

Have we wandered off topic, do you think?

eruwen

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#106 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:25 pm

Love that song, Vee! :hahaha:

Off topic? Nah, perhaps we could add Eru into the song, then it would link up perfectly well to the Silmarillion. Man, what was he on!? :)

Túrin Turambar

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#107 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:33 pm

Well they know the universe is constantly expanding, hence it being infinite! What exactly is it expanding into? That is a question humans may never figure out.

GrevBukMcJern

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#108 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:41 am

It is not expanding into anything. Everything that exist is IN the universe => "outside the universe" doesn't exist. :)

It can't become larger than infinite, so what we really mean when we say it expands is that the "scaling-parameter" of the universe increases. The distance between any two points in space will increase. When you are on one point in space, say the Earth, you will see all the stars and galaxies moving away from you, faster and faster, like they where blasted away by a explosion. (not the Big Bang, but something unknown kalled "dark energy" or "Vacuum energy")

If you go sit on one of these stars moving avay from us, you will there see the same thing: everything is moving away from you.

Given enough time the universe will expand so much that the distances between the stars etc. will be so great that the sky would be completely black and they would feel completely alone..... :(
What are you looking down here for?

virumor

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#109 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:17 am

Theories, theories, theories. Bla, bla, bla. Look at us : we can barely reach the moon. We're stuck on this third rock from the sun for all eternity. Our eternal prison.

The only chance you got, is getting abducted by aliens from the planet Crackpot.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Túrin Turambar

Eru's thoughts (Ainur)

Post#110 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:59 pm

Virumor, you should show more respect to your home planet! ...I'm sure planet Crackpot couldn't have been that bad :)

Return to “The Silmarillion”