New Illustrated Version

virumor

New Illustrated Version

Post#1 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:54 pm

I've seen most of Ted Nasmith's artwork and i like it, though some of it i find a bit too much "sword and sorcery", like the one of Fingolfin vs Morgoth. But the one he made of Lúthien dancing in Neldoreth, is absolutely fabulous, of course.

Good to know that such a book exists, anyway maybe if i'll see it somewhere i'll pick it up. Let's just hope that Darrell Sweet will never do the illustrations.... ;-) Although Sweet would be perfect for illustrating the fairytales of the brothers Grimm.

I for one would like to see the Sil and LOTR being illustrated by Eissmann, my favourite Tolkien artist by far. Maybe in the future, who knows.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Túrin Turambar

New Illustrated Version

Post#2 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:06 pm

i never heard of it, but the way you describe it temps me to buy it.

grondmaster

New Illustrated Version

Post#3 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:35 pm

Neither of my hard bound copies (1999 Easton Press leather bound and 1977 American first edition) has illustrations though both have large fold-out red and black on white maps. But then, I have yet to see the The Illustrated Hobbit and The Illustrated LotR. They all three sound worthwhile.
'Share and enjoy'

Elfstone

New Illustrated Version

Post#4 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:30 pm

Yesterday, as a late X-mas present to myself, I finally got the new illustrated hardcover version of The Silmarillion. I just wanted to leave this post as a huge recommendation for this new edition!

The book is absolutely beautiful, and it’s a true joy to have my favorite book of all time in a gorgeous hardcover! The incredible Ted Nasmith did the illustrations, and there are 45 total (including twenty brand new illustrations done specifically for this new edition, the other 25 are the same ones that were included with the first illustrated hardcover edition which was released in 1997). If you haven’t seen the illustrations that Ted Nasmith has done for this book, you are really missing out!

Also included with the book is a beautifully detailed full color pull out map of Beleriand! I purchased my copy at Borders for $35 (US dollars). This new edition is about twice as big as the first version that came out in 97, and is published by Houghton Mifflin (2004) if you’re looking for it in the store or online.

Anyone else here at PT have this version yet?
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

valedhelgwath

New Illustrated Version

Post#5 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:04 am

My 1979 soft-back copy has definitely seen better days (it even got dropped down the toilet one night when I was in a drunken state) so this new edition could be just what I've been waiting for. Seeing my faithful old copy beside me though stirs strong emotions. It has been a good friend, and even with all the fancy illustrations and fold-out maps, I don't think I'd ever get the same pleasure out of a new copy that I have had out of my old one.

The same goes for Lord of the Rings... I've still not got the illustrated copies of those.

rhapsody

New Illustrated Version

Post#6 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:28 am

My 1979 soft-back copy has definitely seen better days (it even got dropped down the toilet one night when I was in a drunken state) so this new edition could be just what I've been waiting for.

Val!!! :superwow:

I shall not ask how your copy ended up there... One can always use more books... I have an old dutch copy of the Silmarillion with lovely clour drawings in them and my very much used Harper Collins black edition of the Silmarillion.... I prefer completing HOME first... although calling a friend and asking him to look things up for you in HOME can be quite charming as well :)

Amarië

New Illustrated Version

Post#7 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:49 am

although calling a friend and asking him to look things up for you in HOME can be quite charming as well :)
Here we usually just ask Val. ;)
Good thing you didn't flush down the poor book, Val. How could you treat an old trusty friend like that? Tsk tsk tsk... ;)
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

shaya puma

New Illustrated Version

Post#8 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:25 am

I think the single best illustrations for Tolkien are by Tolkien. I cannot objectively claim he is a great illustrator, but his images, especially for The Hobbit are just perfectly evocative. Otherwise, I tend to dislike most illustrations done for Tolkien's work. Even good illustrators, Lee, Howe, Naismith, are spot on only some of the time.

Some illustrators are very technically competant and truly awful, like the Hildebrants and Darrell Sweet. There's a Rowena dancing Luthien that is almost unbelievably sleazy.

Virumor, where might I see something of Eissmann? I have not heard of that artist.

Elfstone

New Illustrated Version

Post#9 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:59 pm

But the one he made of Lúthien dancing in Neldoreth, is absolutely fabulous, of course

Yes, that one is great; I even like that one better than Alan Lee’s Luthien. There’s also a really great new one Nasmith did of Aule getting ready to destroy the dwarves that I really like a lot!

I don't think I'd ever get the same pleasure out of a new copy that I have had out of my old one

Yeah, I know what you mean Val, the sentimental value of your 1979 copy rightfully will never be eclipsed, but I know you would love this new edition as well!
:orcthumbs:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

virumor

New Illustrated Version

Post#10 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:08 pm

Virumor, where might I see something of Eissmann? I have not heard of that artist.

www.nightrunner.com/gallery is a site where one can find the works of a lot of Tolkien artists, including Anke-Katrin Eissmann.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Return to “The Silmarillion”