Elvish

Jade182

Elvish

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My friends got a book which I think is called The Languages of Middle-earth. I'm not sure, tho. You can get it at Barnes & Noble.

~Jade~

grondmaster

Elvish

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth by Roth S. Noel is available but has been panned in every review I have read. They say it is out of date and has errors of omission and comission. :(

Does anyone have this book or something nice to say about it?
'Share and enjoy'

Celebrian

Elvish

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I`ve only heard bad things about it...apparently there`s a lot of mistakes in the book and you`ll loose your money if you buy it...kinda sad, I really want that book!!

I don`t even know if I can get it Norwegian..we`ve got to few translaters here...no one that`s willing to take the job :(

Ross

Elvish

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

you can learn Sindarin using the appendix in LotR, plus just studying the words in the all the books and cross refrencing them with Welsh language books. There is a slight mixing of the Norse languages in there but if you speak English you can usually get by as our language developed mainly from these languages.
Sod off I'm busy!

grondmaster

Elvish

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

:thumbup: There are some good websites concerning the Elvish language listed as [u]Learn Elvish[/u] under [u]Web Links[/u] under "General" in our menu to the left of your screen. :)
'Share and enjoy'

grondmaster

Elvish

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There are some good websites concerning the Elvish language listed as Learn Elvish under Web Links under "General" in our menu to the left of your screen
You can now also visit our [u]Quenya Guild[/u] for lessons down below here on the forum, and their Monday chatroom sessions.
'Share and enjoy'

Delidia

Elvish

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, isnt that only for Quenya? What about all the OTHER languages? :wiggle: :cat: :babygurl:

LadyBlueAutomnSky

Elvish

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't realy know any books about Quenya or any of the other languages at all, but I think they do exist, I did find however, a very good website. Atleast in my opinion. I think it goes something like this: http://www.ardalmbion.com
... No one was born to be a slave...
... No one was born to be a master...

rednell

Elvish

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

LadyBlueAutomnSky,
Your link does not work. I am assuming you are referring to this link, which can be found on the NAV bar on the left, under [u] General[/u]/ [u] Web Links[/u] as Grondy has already mentioned.
http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

If you haven't dropped into our Quenya Guild yet, please try it. We also meet in the chatroom #Bilbos-Study on Monday afternoon at 4pm ET, if you would like to join us for some instruction in Quenya.

Return to “The Silmarillion”