Sinking of beleriand?

arath

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:26 pm

I have wondered about this for a long time. Was the sinking of beleriand swift because of the power of the valar or did it happen naturally over time?

Lord Of All

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:30 pm

It must have happened at least over a few months, probabaly alot more (perhaps a few years) becuase it took time for the servants of Morgoth (like Sauron) and the Elves that did not go into the west (like Galadriel) to journey over the Blue mountains in the East and out of Beleriand before it sank.

arath

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#3 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:37 pm

You are problably right but as for sauron i think that he was where he wanted to be long before the elves. Though i dont know the means of travel that the maiar used but i have understood that they could move very fast if they needed to.

But think of this: maybe the sinking would have been swift. maybe after the defeat of morgoth the valar held back the sinking for a litle while and warned the elves and the remaining edain who would then move into boats and simply sail to the east.

Lord Of All

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#4 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:02 pm

The sinking I very much doubt was at the control of the Valar.

Three such mass continental movements have happened 3 times in the First Age. Once when Melkor destroyed the Two Pillars of Light (the world then split into 3 continents and Aman was formed), once after the Fall of Utumno and the War of the Powers (a new continent was formed between Middle-earth and the Lands of Sun called the Dark land), and once after the War of Wrath. None of these were at the control of the Valar. They certainly did not want there lovely Isle of Almaren ruled after the first great battle.

Ps: If you want to have a look at some maps then give us a shout and I will pm you with the links.

arath

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#5 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:21 pm

shout!

Was it not said in the silmarillion that they held back the destruction of their work?
And does that not mean that they could have controlled the sinking of beleriand?

grondmaster

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#6 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:07 pm

The sinking was slow enough for many of the Elves to retreat to higher ground where they build ships to sail both eastward to what remained of Middle-earth and back Into the West towards Aman.
'Share and enjoy'

Lord Of All

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#7 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:10 pm

Arath please quote me the passage you are refering to so I can see what context its in.

turinturumart

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#8 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:34 pm

Your "First Age" includes everything before the sinking of Beleriand?

Lord Of All

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#9 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:59 pm

I know that the First Age was only from when the Noldor arrived into Endor and the rising of the Moon up until the Sinking of Beleriand but its just easier to say 'the First Age' to include everything before the second age.

virumor

Sinking of beleriand?

Post#10 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:05 pm

The sinking was slow enough for many of the Elves to retreat to higher ground where they build ships to sail both eastward to what remained of Middle-earth and back Into the West towards Aman.

And slow enough for the willing Edain to reach Númenor.
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

Return to “The Silmarillion”