The Silmarillion????

The Silmarillion????

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

simply put its the greatest work tolkien ever created... in my opinion of course! :P:P

whats it about... well, its mostly the history of middle earth.. something sort of like reading the bible of middle earth i guess.... It has the greatest victories, the greatest tragadies, the best love stories... coughberen&luthiencough!

It is definatly my favorite book, above LotR, and The Hobbit. I will admit though, its not an easy read by any streach... its a bit slow at the beginning, and drags sometimes.... but plow through it, because i guarantee you will love it once you finish it!

The Silmarillion????

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi, Luinthule. Welcome to the site.
Gimli has about summed it up really. It covers the whole history of Middle Earth and the Undying Lands, from the moment they were created to the end of the period Lord of the Rings was set in. The first part, with insights into the Creation and the Valar and Maiar, is very biblical. From then on it proceeds to tell tales of the first great elven lords, their creations and their wars with Morgoth, the dark enemy. It tells the history of the first men and their interactions with the elves, and delves also into realms of romantic sagas.
Mid-book, it concerns itself with the history of Numenor and the great achievements and failings of that proud race, and from there, the settling of Gondor and Arnor by the Faithful. Right at the end, it covers the events of the war of the ring in its final chapter. Also included are details of the forging of the rings of power, and the wars between the dwarves and the orcs.
Like Gimli says, it is a bit of a slog to get through, with lots of confusing names and places, but if you persevere, you will find it a very rewarding read. One of the main things you will find, is it will enhance your enjoyment of Lord of the Rings itself by explaining many behind the scenes parts of that book (eg. who Gandalf and Saruman really are, What the Balrog is, Aragorn's broken sword, the House of Elrond, the importance of the One Ring etc etc.)
Hope you enjoy it.

The Silmarillion????

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

In short: it's a book with a long story, loads of names and I don't really think it's thát interesting, but that's only my humble opinion of course. There's not much action in it, I think, it's just story-telling at it's height. :cool:
Denial is not a river in Africa.

The Silmarillion????

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

There`s a lot of good reading in the book! Very sad storys too..I cried a bit when I read about Luthien and Beren, but the most sad part was when Turin and Nienor fell in love with eachother, not knowing that they were family :(

How awful to find out that you`re married to your brother! That just broke my heart...oh and for those of you that haven`t read the Silm...don`t read this! ;) nn[Edited on 1/10/2002 by Celebrian]

The Silmarillion????

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I read about Turin and Nienor in the encyclopedia of Arda before I read the Silmarillion, and when I came to that chapter in the book I actually waited several days befor I read on 'cause I knew it would be sad, and it was even sader in the book than I had expected.. And that poor limp guy too (Barahir?). Hearthbreaking! Luthien and Beren lived "happily ever after", but the Nienor and Turin story was just tragic.. :(
"Don't complain under the stars
about the lack of bright spots in you life."
Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian writer

The Silmarillion????

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

On the 23/2/03 Delidria opened a new thread asking this question
is this book good? should i read it? What is it about? does it have anything to do with [u] [/u]The [u] [/u]Hobbit and [u] [/u]Lord [u] [/u]of [u] [/u]the [u] [/u]Rings ?
As this section already holds answers to this question, I have moved it here.

The Silmarillion????

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yes Delidria, The Silmarilion is a good book; however, do not expect to read a fun or nail-biter of a story like [u]LotR[/u] or The Hobbit. It is a compilation of some of the incidents from the history that took place over the thousands of years preceding Bilbo's finding of the One Ring and as such have a bearing on the later stories.

Some people found it a hard read; while others were enthralled by it. Why not visit our [u]Reading Discussion Groups[/u] further down the forum index where Valedhelgwath has been leading a group through the reading of The Silmarilion. This should help you get through any hard spots.

If you should try reading The Silmarilion and decide to stop. Please return to it after a year or so and give it another try. You may find it has grown easier with the passage of time. Many of us have found that to be the case. :happyelf:
'Share and enjoy'

The Silmarillion????

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I think the Silmarillion is a masterpiece. These are the different topics covered in it:

Ainulindalë (Music of the Ainur
Valaquenta (History of the Valar)
Quenta Silmarillion (History of the Silmarils)
I. Of The Beginning of Days
II. Of Aulë and Yavanna
III. Of The Coming Of The Elves and the Captivity of Melkor (Morgoth Bauglir)
IV. Of Thingol and Melian
V. Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalië
VI. Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
VII. Of the Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor
VIII. Of the Darkening of Valinor
IX. Of the Flight of the Noldor
X. Of the Sindar
XI. Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor
XII. Of Men
XIII. Of the Return of the Noldor
XIV. Of Beleriand and its Realms
XV. Of the Noldor in Beleriand
XVI. Of Maeglin
XVII. Of the Coming of Men into the West
XVIII. Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin
XIX. Of Beren and Lúthien
XX. Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad
XXI. Of Túrin Turambar
XXII. Of the Ruin of Doriath
XXIII. Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin
XXIV. Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath
Akallabêth (The Downfall of Númenor)
Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
I. The House of Finwë
II. The Descendants of Olwë and Elwë
III. The House of Bëor
IV. and V. The House of Hador and The People of Haleth
The Sundering of the Elves
Note on Pronunciation
Index on Names
Appendix: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin names
Map of Beleriand and the Lands to the North

I hope I haven't broken any copyright laws...

The Silmarillion????

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Silmarillion is one of the best books that I have ever read.
Tolkien brings the begining of Middle Earth to life....You can see the birth of the Elves...Valanor...the coming of Men.
May The Stars Of Varda Light Your Path

Return to “The Silmarillion”