How many movies would it take to tell the tale of the Ring?

Show

Post#1 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Assuming Christopher Tolkien could hand over filming right to the whole story, just how many movies would it take to tell the tale of the Ring?

I'll have to do more review of the Silmarillion before I give my final answer, what are anyone else's thoughts?

Beren

Post#2 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:08 pm

You mean, everything? The Silmarillion, the Hobbit, LOTR? (In other words, the whole history of Middle-Earth) Or just the prologue of FOTR? ("The forging of the great rings")

Show

Post#3 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:38 pm

I would start with the Forging of the rings with Celebrimbor. Showing that all the rings were made for the elves. Then that after Sauron put his on the elves knew him and removed theirs. That's when Sauron gave them to lesser races (men and dwarves). The Sauron rose to power, only to be challanged by Ar-Pharazon, last king of Numenor. Only then to corrupt Ar-Pharazon further and drive him against the Valar. This then caused the fall of Numenor (the Akellebeth). With the fall comes the flight of Elendil, Isildur and his brother (can't remember his name) and the founding of Arnor and Gondor. Arnor's Build up and then alliance with Gil-Galad that culminated in Sauron loss of the ring and the fall of Elendil and Gil-Galad.
I guess it kind of would make the films simply the history of the world after the fall of Morgoth/Melkor.

Barrel the pony

Post#4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:03 pm

If Lord of the Rings was an unfilmable book, the History of Middle Earth is an unfilmable story. I mean, sure it would be cool to see all these epic stories- the Fall of Numenor, Gondolin etc. on film, but how can you tell a story that lasts for hundreds, thousands of years, and still have believable character arcs. I mean, they're going to have enough trouble with the bits between the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings because of the time problems there, but as for before that- from the creation of the Valar to the making of the rings of power is so scattered and undirected that there's no way you could structure it and still stay true to history. They might want to make a movie based on one particular story, for instance, the fall of Gondolin or the story of Beren would be good material.

Luthien

Post#5 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:24 pm

I think you can't really tell it all. However, I think that it would be really cool if they were to make movies out of Tolkien's three "great tales": Of Beren and Luthien, Of Turin Turambar (or The Narn i Hin Hurin), and Of the Fall of Gondolin. Since Tolkien never really completed the last, perhaps it would only be feasible to do the first two, but I think that they could truly be made into amazing movies.

Oh, and Isildur's brother is Anarion.

Beren

Post#6 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:42 am

That is exactly what I was thinking about, Luthien. Of course, I would like to see movies made out of the whole Silmarillion, but if not, I would like to see Beren and Luthien (that should sell very well), Turin, and Gondolin. They kind of go hand-in hand, too. They all happen in succession, and could be marketed as a trilogy.
Personally, I think that about 10 movies could be made from the Silmarillion. But I admit that not all of these would be very salable.

Barrel the pony

Post#7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:32 pm

Christopher Tolkien is old- he'll die sooner or later. Although it will be sad, perhaps his successor will have a more cordial relationship with Saul Zaentz. Who knows? You're right, the tale of Beren and Luthien could definitely be turned into a great movie.

Show

Post#8 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:36 pm

I agree, Beren and Luthien would make a great movie.

But then comes Turnin Turumbar. Lots of material there. Especially with the resently printed more fleshed out Children of Hurin that Christopher Tolkien released. But is the general movie public ready for that one?
Turin married his sister. Granted, he didn't know who she was, but remember, these are the people who worried about The Two Towers because of 9/11.
Then he just goes from land to land. Always becoming a leader and urging open war. Only to get the city destroyed time and again. He just keeps trying until finally killing himself. This wasn't John Henry who beat the steam engine, but died from the work. This was a man with blood on his hands, lots of blood. Who finally plants his own sword through himself.
Taken as a part of the entire tapestry that is the war of the Jewels, the story was great. But as a separate movie, I don't know if it would play well with audiences. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't know if Fantasy Action filmgoers are ready for that sort of Tradgedy.

To do those three, Beren, Turnin & Gondolin, you really have to go the whole nine yards and get Earendil to call upon the Valar. Without that, all these stories never overcome evil. I think you really need that ending. That and the special effects to show the Wrath of the Lord of the West, now that is a visual battle I would like to see atempted.

Gandalfs Beard

Post#9 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:48 pm

Show, your point on tragedy is all too apt. I for one, have difficulty watching or reading tragedies. There is enough of that in Real Life. I will never watch Sophies Choice again. And Pans Labyrinth, one of my favorite films, I can only watch it while telling myself that the fantasy part is more real than the reality the young girl escapes from. As to Tolkiens works, it would take dozens of fils to do it justice.

Barrel the Pony, I concur that Christopher Tolkien shold allow the material to be used, but it is not his fault. Saul Zaentz can't get along with anyone. He screwed Ralph Bakshi, then he and New Line screwed Christopher Tolkien.

Peace
Gandalfs Beard

lothierial

Post#10 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 pm

I agree with Show. I don't think the general public would be ready for some of the stuff in the story of Turin. But I think it would be AMAZING to see a movie about Beren and Luthien. If you were to put the whole book of the Silmarillion into movies i think you might need one for every tale. Well probly not every one some of the stories are linked but it would take ALOT of movies to do it. I would watch them all though!! lol

Return to “The Silmarillion”