GONDOLIN

Odo Banks

GONDOLIN

Post#1 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:42 pm

GONDOLIN: In The Hobbit, it sounded marvellous --- Golden and Magical somehow --- but in The Silmarillion it seems more Dark and Drab and Serious.

Eldorion

GONDOLIN

Post#2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:51 pm

I think that's true for a lot of things when you compare The Hobbit to the rest of Tolkien's writings. Just look at the role of the Ring: it goes from being a magic trinket that turns you invisible to a weapon designed to conquer the known world. :P

Odo Banks

GONDOLIN

Post#3 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:21 pm

I find it a bit sad. Perhaps in time JRRT might have seen sense, consigned the Silmarillion to a footnote of history, re-written LotR in a more Hobbitian way - and made everyone happy. :D (AntiEldoSpam4)

Eldorion

GONDOLIN

Post#4 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:57 am

There are some people who prefer the more serious style, though. ;) Personally I like both and wouldn't want to lose either.

Tinuviel

GONDOLIN

Post#5 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm

I think Gondolin is bright and shiny in the silmarillion, sure it gets demolished, but I feel that makes it all the more fantastic. I personally like the Silmarillion more than LOTR because of the fact that everything in the Silmarillion is beautiful, but sad. And the sad part doesn't make you sad, because you know LOTR comes after, though Middle Earth in the third age seems a bit boring compared to its past...

pettytyrant101

GONDOLIN

Post#6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Everything was better in the past and the older you become the more apparent this seems.

Odo Banks

GONDOLIN

Post#7 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:50 am

You are clearly not just a pretty nose, Tin, you also have an old soul - that means a poetic soul. Mr Tyrant, you have an old soul (presumably that fits perfectly and appropriately inside your body) - that means a nostalgic soul ---- poor soul! Got one of them myself ---- sad business all round. Why do I feel both happy and sad just now? Am I having a Gondolian moment?

Baingil

GONDOLIN

Post#8 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:55 pm

My opinion, for what it's worth:

The styles of writing in The Hobbit and the Silmarillion have always had that same difference to me. I often think of The Hobbit in terms of a storybook, and the Silmarillion in terms of a history book.

Though I must say that I prefer the Silmarillion to most history books. Much more interesting, despite the huge amount of strange Elvish names just waiting to be mixed up.

But, of course, a place described in a storybook and a place described in a storybook are usually going to sound that way. History books are dealing with (sometimes Dark and Drab) Serious Subjects, and therefore sound Serious. Very serious. Storybooks usually make the good parts sound very, very good, and the bad parts sound very, very bad; therefore Gondolin, being good, sounds very, very good in the Hobbit, while in the Silmarillion it sounds more serious.

I like both ways of looking at it.

Gandalfs Beard

GONDOLIN

Post#9 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Actually, I think of the Silmarillion as more like The Bible (or the Vedas) than a history book. :ugeek:

GB

Gandalfs Beard

GONDOLIN

Post#10 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Actually, I think of the Silmarillion as more like The Bible (or the Vedas) than a history book. :ugeek:

GB

Return to “The Silmarillion”