Which Valar Do You Admire Most

brego

Post#1 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:11 pm

My favorite amoungst the Valar is Yavanna. For me Yavanna seems to have had the hardest time preserving her creations not only against destruction from both Dark Lords, but also from Dwarves, Hobbits and of course Men. It must have been devastating for her to see the destruction of the massive forests which crossed Middle Earth, from coast to coast during the Elder days. I think Tree Beard summed this destruction up beautifully during his conversations with Merry & Pippin during their stay with him at the roots of the Mountain in his home deep in Fangorn. His quote that a Squirell could once hop from tree to tree from there the Old Forests starts (near The Shire) all the way to the top of Greenwood The Great and beyond makes me sad as this is happenning on an even larger scale all over our present day Earth. Yavanna, along with the other Valr must look down on us in utter despair and must indeed think that the dominion of Men has indeed been permeated by the evil of the Melkor in Ages gone by... Enough of my musings, who of the valar do you look up to and why?

leelee

Post#2 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:39 am

I like this thread Brego, and |I feel the same way. I cannot say I admired all the Valar, I felt that some of them at times seemed selfish to me, arrogant somehow and yet I am sure that is not so. But with Her I felt such tenderness, love, compassion, intelligence, far seeing attributes. Yes I liked her very much.

brego

Post#3 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:24 am

Yes I agree Lee Lee they do sometimes look selfish. However I think that the professor wanted us to believe that no matter how good the intentions of any one that these Intensions may be seen as more selfish than selfless by those who spectate. I think in a strange way the Valar understood the children of Eru less than Melkor and Sauron. They knew how to use Dwarves, Men and Elves, corrupt them, it was easy for them because they were aware of their weekness's due to his study and spies. I think that eventually the Valar were simply not up to maintaining the free people's and they made some seemingly strange decisions in trying. But ultimately Eru had a plan and I like to think that the plan had as much to do with testing the Valar, as it was to create a world for his other creations.
I think Ulmo was the closest to understanding Elves and Men for too many reasons to mension here, however he didn't seem to mind drowning more than and few of them!

leelee

Post#4 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:02 am

Absolutely you are right. It in the end matters not what others thought or indeed think now, Eru was Creater. he made all things and knew all things and had a plan no one probably really understood and therefore he knew the ultimate end and while giving all peoples freedom to fall in with his plans or not, he alone in the end brought all things to their divine conclusion.

Thorin Oakenshield

Post#5 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:16 pm

I remember there being a thread like this sometime ( or years?) ago. My choice hasn't changed though. My preferred Vala has always been Aule. I think this might be because he' the father of the dwarves and the hobbit was the first book I read so I have special love for them! Other than that he's a maker of extraordinary things but does not covet nor hoard which is why i like him too!

On another note, i think that the Valar are in a way responsible for the condition the world dominated by men have shaped up. If only they had helped and guided men in the way the did for the firstborn oratleast try to understand their hearts, being different to their own, the course of history might have changed! If the elves blame some of the forefather of Men for having marched with the Enemy, then are they really to blame as the only Vala they ever knew was Melkior. How were they to shape their  opinion if they knew nothing of the powers that be?

Strange are the ways of Eru, yet ever do they reveal his glory! :)

The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

leelee

Post#6 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 pm

How I missed you Thorin, especially on facebook. My account was hacked over and over and I finally gave up. I had Mellon and Sian and a few others, on my facebook and the loss was great, especially as the three of you do not visit Middle Earth often any more. Happy Holidays to you and mummy and I think you said another brother. And I hope you get to see your sister.

I can see why you chose the person you did and your reasoning is very touching.

Thorin Oakenshield

Post#7 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:56 am

Merry Christmas to you and your family too Leelee! You have a good memory! I'm really sorry about your facebook, its sad that people behave like that!

But on a brighter note you'll be seeing me more often as from the end of next January here :D

The Old that is Strong does not Wither.

brego

Post#8 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Interesting thoughts Thorin.  Verily how different Middle Earth would have been if the Valar had listened to Ulmo when they had the chance.  Really there was no need to bring all of the Elves to the West.  The Elves had a better chance of withstanding Melkor than Men ever did and given time, I believe that the Elves would have been able if not to destroy the Dark Lord they at least have moved him on to perhaps a different region on Middle Earth.

finrod althor

Post#9 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I continue to be thrilled with this site!  That being said, I have often pondered the different outlooks that the Valar seemed to have about the Children of Illuvator and their roles with them.  It has always seemed to me those with noble spirits and good hearts have a habit of expecting good from others unconditionally.  I think this comes from the fact that they do not expect the ill will that they are sometimes subjected to because they do not have it in them and end up hurt or at least dismayed at the ill that so many others are full of.  I'm not sure why that came out, so pardon me.

What I was trying to get at, before I started rambling on there, is how some of the Valar and Maia seemed somewhat naive to Melkor and the discord that he sowed. 

I also love Yavanna because of her wondrous creations.  I have often lain beside a campfire looking up at the stars through the cypress trees and Spanish moss listening to her voice on the wind and dreamed of Elvish company.  I can only imagine how beautiful our world was before modern Man began its rape of the forests and land.

I was born on the bayou and have been drawn to the water since childhood so I have to say that Ulmo is my favorite Vala.  For me the way he continually exerted influence on the happenings of MiddleEarth and never gave up on either race is why I feel this way.  One of my reasons is the way he influenced Turgon and Finrod to build their strongholds.  Another is the prophecy he led Tour to fulfill.  What a journey that must have been!

I will end there for now and respectfully watch and learn.

leelee

Post#10 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:06 pm

Yay Thorin, you are coming back, Iam absolutely thrilled. I miss that sound reasoning and the way you challenge us to think deeply and look at things in a different way. Fabulous.

Finrod that was captivating and romantic, i could read that description a hundred times and not tire of it. And Brego has become such a stolid and dependable prescence I automatically look for your name each day. Thankyou for your comments.

Return to “The Silmarillion”