favorite story in silmarillion

halion drakon

Post#1 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm

not sure if this has been discussed before but i was just wondering what everyone's favorite tale from the silmarillion was and why. my personal favorite would probably be beren and luthien mostly because of its background with Tolkien and Edith bratt

brego

Post#2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Alvin I too love the whole Luthien, Beren saga. It is a powerful example of Tolkiens ability to portray true love in all of its manifestations. Another tale which I love is that of Hurin, one of only three Men who saw, ever with their own eyes, the glorious city of Gondolin. Apart from the tales of his daughter and son, the tales of his early life and his horrible end are incredible. Ive said before in previous threads that the penultimate scene where Hurin confronts King Thingol and his wife Queen Melion the Maia is simply heart breaking and a great example of the true evil of the first Dark Lord, he whos name is not spoken, Morgoth
Bauglir the Black Enemy.

finrod althor

Post#3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:12 pm

I too like the tale of Beren and Luthien although not for the same reasons.  My favorite character is Finrod Felagund not only from ME but in all I've read, rivaled only by Aravan the Elf of McKiernan's Mithgarian books.  I think Finrod's fulfillment of his oath, made to Barahir, is heart-breaking and warming at the same time.  It shows how much love he had for Men that he, being the first Elf to behold them, would knowingly die for one.  The sounds of his battle with wolf-Sauron must have echoed through the countryside.  And that was only the first oath of the story.  The first time I read Beren's words (paraphrased I'm sure), "Yea, and even now it burns in my hand,"  I jumped up and shouted!   Those are why I like the story.  For me, even though it was about the love of the two of them, the two oaths being fulfilled and the lengths that were taken for their fulfillment, gives me the example and the hope that I can be as honorable as Finrod and Beren.

brego

Post#4 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Too true Alvin.  Can you imagine the look on King Thingols face when Beren revealed his now missing hand....  I liked Beren's haughtiness with Thingol, also the fact that Melion seemed to have laid favor on him.

wildespace

Post#5 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:00 am

Beren and Luthien, by a long shot. Here is a real fairytale, with talking animals, shapeshifting, romance, magic. Too bad that the published Silmarillion is little more than an expanded resume Tolkien worked on after abandoning his early stories and poems.

galin

Post#6 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:44 pm

JRRT did begin an updated long prose version of Beren and Luthien in the early 1950s, as he did for The Fall of Gondolin and The Children of Hurin too, but obviously he never finished these in any case...

... in part (I think) because Tolkien's publisher wasn't going to publish The Silmarillion in tandem with The Lord of the Rings, and the hoped for publication of both works, in connection with Milton Waldman, didn't materialize at this time.

Indis

Post#7 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 pm

It's really hard to tell - since Silmarillion is a diversified story which contains only few detailed tales - and those will probably get preference over less complex stories.

Beren and Luthien, by a long shot. Here is a real fairytale, with talking animals, shapeshifting, romance, magic. Too bad that the published Silmarillion is little more than an expanded resume Tolkien worked on after abandoning his early stories and poems.

Wildespace explained my opinion very well ;) Beautifully written fairytale - has it all - great love, dangers, evil, fantastic creatures, amazing and mysterious ending.

I would also choose Ainulindalë - for different reasons than Beren and Luthien's story. I fell in love with the idea of creating the world trough music - I am amazed by this concept till this day. So beautiful and creative.

aylee

Post#8 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 am

When re-reading the Silmarillion there were three stories I looked forward to the most.  The story of the Children of Hurin, Eol, and Finrod meeting men for the first time. 

The Children of Hurin was heart-breaking.  The anguish that they suffered due to their father's valor.  You find very little happiness in this story.  Yet Hurin refused to beg pity from Morgoth for himself or his family.  Who could do this?  For better or worse, he was a man who stood by his convictions.

The story of Eol, because I find him interesting and misunderstood.  I kinda like the guy.  He had a unique  perception of the Noldor.  And that perception was not totally unjustified. 

The story of Finrod meeting men, because I love Finrod.  He was the Elven King who cared most about men and their fates.  One of my favorite pieces of Tolkien literature is  Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth in Morgoth's Ring.  He loved men and I love him for that.

cassandria

Post#9 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:46 pm

I loved "Of Maeglin" that story really stuck out for me personally. I have read the book just once, I feel like to get a complete understanding of this particular book, I will definitely need to go through a second read.

Balrogs R Us

Post#10 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Undoubtedly the tale of Turin Turambar. When I read it first in the Sil it was already amazing and one of my favorites. But when I read Children of Hurin....I've never had a book literally shatter my heart! My jaw was open the vast majority of the time. Amazing how he was able to turn the already intricate, detailed story in the Sil to a full blown novel, BURSTING with so much more than you could imagine.

No story ever has made me feel the way I did after reading the last words in Children of Hurin. I was in a world of sorrowful bliss. I wanted to sink into the darkness but grow into the light and praise Tolkien's name. I try to recommend it to EVERYBODY but everyone's always like (no joke) "oh that sounds good, but first I want to read Game of Thrones." They never do. Shame, because I think if everybody read Children of Hurin once they would have a completely new outlook on life. A more sympathetic one. Learning to not judge others, not jump to conclusions, to listen instead of think, to take your time, to know more about who you're sleeping with *ahem*.

Amazing story though. A close second is the Music of the Ainur, and if I had to choose a third I'd probably also go with Beren and Luthien. In the way Children of Hurin made me weep at the end, Beren and Luthien's tale made my heart jump. Basically, I love JRR Tolkien...

Return to “The Silmarillion”