Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I personally love the start, and I have always read it from beginning to end, like you should. But Grondy often suggests starting at the end with the Rings of power bit and working your way backwards instead. for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yeah, I read it from the beginning too, but I agree with Grondie. It's better to start from the back, in case you get bored.

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Bored, bored - whyady'a mean bored. OK confused, lost, even annoyed - but bored never; The problem is the genealogical trees, the similarities in the names etc.. However its fascinating. Because the "stories" are shorter I find they have an intensity and passion "missing" in the LOTR (missing is not the word I'm looking for - say dispersed hither and thither.
Afters years of reading all of Tolkien's literature, The Silmarillion and its characters is the most satisfying. Its not really easy, it's incomplete etc etc but its so full of ideas and energy. If you permit the comparison, it's somewhat akeen to classic Greek theatre- some of it is even like Ovid's "Metamorphosis". Apparently "Sil" is a book close to Tokien's heart also as he inscribed the names of Luthien & Beren on his wifes headstone when she was buried (well at least that's what I read in Humphrey Carpenters work)
Good reading - its a wonderful adventure

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

How can you just think about leaving a part out? I'm just about to read for the second time (I started with Tolkien's bokks only one and a half years ago, so son't blame me) and I think it's quite impotant. Just to know about that war between the Valar and Melkor and the beginning of all the evil...
Have fun, and take you time to review all the names in the appendices... otherwise it may be a bit confusing.

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Reason why we said 'boring' was because a lot of people wrote in the old forum that they gave up after the first few attempts, because they found it:

i) Boring
ii) Confusing
iii) Difficult

So we figured that the best way to read Silm was from the back (Rings of Power). That way, the person can still identify with the characters from LOTR & yet be introduced to the general 'dryish' tone of the book. And then Akallabeth, so that they could understand the history of the Numenorians, plus they would still be able to identify with Elendil, Isildur etc since they were mentioned in LOTR. And then work their way slowly up to the front...hopefully by the time the had read the last two chapters, they would have been sufficiently drawn into the story that they wouldn't mind all the strange new names & characters (fourth reason why they gave up).

It works as well - I tried it on some friends & a few managed to finish the Silm. Some even re-read it again, but from the front. :)

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Think I'll start from the back then. Next time I read it I promise to start from the front (thus hoping to satisfy everyone)
Tata for all the answers! :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Silmarillion it's a "chef d'oeuvre" so in my opinion it must to be read from the beginning! Trust on Me! :D
if u have some probs with the names just check this oout: R.Foster "the complete guide to middle-earth" it's a must for Tolkien fans![Edited on 28/2/2002 by RomereX]

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

LOTR is a novel, Silmarillion is a saga (lika Icelandic sagas...), unfinished stories of Tuor and his coming to Gnndolin and Narn i Hin Hurin form UT are something in between... we are most habituated to novels, but it's worth while to make an effort and go through Silmarillion from the very beginning.

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't really think one should begin in the end and work oneself backwards (of course if it makes you accually read the book which you would otherwise it ok :)) but I'd recommend reading a little about the Valar so that you know what it's about and then start with the comming of the Eldars...
(personally I sometimes read only the part before the comming of the Eldars cuz I really like it... and I've read the Silmarillion atleast 15 times so...)
[Edited on 15/3/2002 by iago]

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I've only read it once, and it took me about 5 months to get through it. but it is my favorite of all the books.. It was very slow at the beginning. and i cant contribute too much here, because i dont honestly remember too much of it.. there is a lot of information, and a lot of similar names to get confused with... HOWEVER... the day i finished it, i went to a book store, and came across a nice hardbound edition with great illustrations.. I can't wait to get started rereading it!! I think Beren and Luthien was the best story in it, and prolly my favorite story, couple, whatever... in all of his books.. though i havent read the unfinished tales yet... only Sil, LotR, and The Hobbit.

Return to “The Silmarillion”