Ring of Barahir

grondmaster

Ring of Barahir

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

That is a great tale Val. I remember the ring going to Beren but didn't tie it to Aragorn's inherited ring. Thanks.

Rather than making the story of this ring into a movie, I think it's epic nature could better be handled as a mini-series comprised of one or two hour segments the numbers of each to suit the portion of the story being told. Of course this could also be the framework upon which to hang the entire Silmarillion.
'Share and enjoy'

valedhelgwath

Ring of Barahir

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Of course this could also be the framework upon which to hang the entire Silmarillion.
That is the one thing that struck me most about this ring. With the exception of the tales concerning Turin and his kin, it's history wove a path through most of the major events that occurred in the Silmarillion. I was really pleased to see Aragorn was wearing it in the film.

I like the idea of a mini-series. It would work really well. Maybe someone should write a suggestive email to Mr PJ.

I'd like to know who actually forged it, though. The twin serpents with a crown of flowers was the emblem of the House of Finarfin. Feanor, whose grandson Celebrimbor forged the later Rings of Power, had a frosty relationship with his two half-brothers so I don't think it was made by him or his sons.

Finrod was great friends with Turgon, who himself was a great craftsman (he forged Glingal and Belthil, in the likeness of the Two Trees), so I suppose Turgon is a possibility. If anyone actually knows who forged this ring, I'd love to know.

Elfstone

Ring of Barahir

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As far as I know, the ring does not have any magical properties, it's value being in its heritage alone. That is most probably why Sauron did not try to get of of it.

You're definitely right about that Val! Here is a quote directly from page 352, appendix A in ROTK,
This is a thing of worth beyond your reckoning. For it's ancientry alone. It has no power, save for the esteem in which those hold it who love my house. It will not help you, but if ever you are in need, my kin will ransom it with great store of all that you desire.

:elf: nn[Edited on 19/5/2003 by Elfstone]
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

uruk_slayer

Ring of Barahir

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Which translation of the Illiad did you read, Sepdet? Robert Fitzgerald has one of the best out there. I read both Illiad and Odyssey from Fitz for one of my lit classes. But you're right Val, Sauron wouldn't really have need of something that more of a symbolic significance. He's looking for power.

Aulë

Ring of Barahir

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Val do you have any sources where it says WHO made the ring of Barahir?
I am very interested in the creation and history of this magnificient ring which survived threw all these years!!!
Life's a piece of sheit, when you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see its all a show, people laughin as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

valedhelgwath

Ring of Barahir

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sorry, Aule, but that's something I'd like to find out too. As I mentioned in the above posts, it was forged by the Noldor in Valinor, but I cannot find out specifically by whom.

As the Noldor returned to Middle Earth just prior to the beginning of the First Age, it must have been made during the Age of the Two Trees, and was thus ancient.

If I find anything further as I plough through the HOME series, I'll add it here.

Aulë

Ring of Barahir

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

What are these HOMEbooks you keep refering to?
Me no speaka ingles:D

HAHAHHAA no but seriously I do not know what you are refering to Val....please explain!

Aulë

Ring of Barahir

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks Perwing!