who is the dude in the Silmarillion cover?

Sheryl

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sorry I can`t answer this question for you. Better luck next time. ;)
I love you! I love you!
I must say it with all my heart!
I love you! I love you!
I wish we weren`t apart!
You know who I am
I know who you r
I have told u this sweet sumthin
even tho u r afar!

valedhelgwath

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

As the title is the Silmarillion, and the picture seems to depict three lights within the glare, I'd guess it is Feanor holding the three silmarills.

grondmaster

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If that is the cover picture in question, then I agree.

I thought we also had the picture of the first edition jacket in our book covers collection, but I couldn't find it there or on any other site. Haven't even seen the artwork from the Ballentine LotR paperback editions of the late sixties that also happens to grace their $2.95 1967 hardcover edition of The Road Goes Ever On. which on my copy is starting to look a little worse for wear.
'Share and enjoy'

rednell

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If you are referring to the one Allyssa has provided the link for then I agree that it is probably Feanor.
The illustration was done by Michael Dringenberg, DC comic book illustrator and better known for his artwork in the Sandman books by Neil Gaiman.

Elfstone

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My copy of the Silmarillion has the pic in Allyssa's link on the cover, and I have always thought that it was supposed to be Feanor holding the 3 Silmarills as well.
:elf:
"I would have the Ring-bearer bring the crown to me, and let Mithrandir set it upon my head, if he will; for he has been the mover of all that has been accomplished, and this is his victory." Elessar

ProgHead777

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

This is quite similar to the cover of my copy of the Sil. It's the first paperback printing of the Ballantine Books edition (this page loads rather slowly, so if you wanna see you should click and then go make yourself a sandwich er somethin' ):

http://img-fan.theonering.net/rolozo/images/covers/silmarillion_2.jpg

Rather ugly, eh? :mad2:

I believe this may be the dust jacket of the hardcover while mine is paperback. They're almost identical except that the title is not within the picture but directly below the postAuthorIDs name above the picture.

Above that, it says "America's #1 bestseller! One million sold in Hardcover!" :orcthumbs:

I couldn't find the paperback cover ANYWHERE! :mad:

Anyway, the cover and the binding are disintegrating but the text is unmarked. It's really time I get a new copy :funnylaugh:
WWGD: What Would Gandalf Do?

Tar-Aldarion

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yep, that's it!!!

Feanor really look liked a girl there. I suppose that all elves love that long-haired look.

Ross

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My front cover's quite cool it's the fall of Gondolin with loads of orcs, dragons and balrogs(with wings) plus a really sinister looking dude on a horse.
Sod off I'm busy!

Littleirena

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

My Silmarillion cover has some sort of city, and a guy standing on the stairs, i have no idea who that is,,,

I dunno if someone has that one(i think it's a paperback) .

Anyways, i hope someone know who that tiny dude on the city staires is.

PlasticSquirrel

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

my guess is that the city is gondolin, and the tiny dude is Tuor, or maybe Glorfindel. Or maybe it's the city of Tirion, and the tiny dude is Earendil, is he glowing silver?
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Return to “The Silmarillion”