The Children of Hurin

mellon

The Children of Hurin

Post#1 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:43 am

Next year .in the autumn this book (by Christoper Tolkien )is coming to the stores .so it says on the news.?I believe that some short stories has already been published.Has anyone read them ? If it's true I'm looking forward to read it :happyelf:
Sorry if it's a thread about this topic somewhere else..

virumor

The Children of Hurin

Post#2 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:02 am

Isn't this story just Narn i Hin Húrin from Unfinished Tales?
Give up the Halfring, she-elf...

mellon

The Children of Hurin

Post#3 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:20 am

It is Vir ..I have to read them all over again to get the story straight but still I think the story will be better completed in a book .don't you think ?
Sorry again for starting a new thread about this ..I've read the threads about it in The Unfinished Tales .so it should've been there .

grondmaster

The Children of Hurin

Post#4 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:50 pm

I thought about moving this thread under 'Unfinished Tales' book, but as this will be a stand alone book. I decided against it. So it will remain here, unless we later find it is a hoax. For more on the story in Unfinished Tales, see Narn I Hîn Húrin. :read:

NOTE: This thread should be used to discuss about the up-coming book and its actual contents, and then later for comparisons with the story in Unfinished Tales. Please post discussion only about the story in Unfinished Tales under the above link. Thanks :happyelf:
'Share and enjoy'

Etharion

The Children of Hurin

Post#5 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Yea, i read that recently,how Christopher is writing a book or somethin, and i wanted to ask what exactly would be in the book...

cloveress

The Children of Hurin

Post#6 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Wait, so this book is a work of Christopher's, not his father's? I dunno... I mean, Christopher has given us all quite a good Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and all that other stuff, but those were based largely on his father's notes, I really don't know if his own works would add a sudden twist of style to the Narn?

mellon

The Children of Hurin

Post#7 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:14 am

I think Christopher is completing his fathers'work from Unfinished Tales and put it all together in a new book.:happyelf:

Túrin Turambar

The Children of Hurin

Post#8 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Like Virumor says:

Isn't this story just Narn i Hin Húrin from Unfinished Tales?

when i read that BBC news report, and the other news report, on the home page of this site the 1st thing i thought was the same thing. It is the longest lay that tolkien wrote about the First Age, correct me in i'm wrong there....

Anyways Narn i Hin Hurin is quite detailed compared to most other material that's been published about the 1st age, and i'd think that if Christopher Tolkien published it as a stand alone book it wouldn't been a very long one. Unless Ol' Christopher has dug up many more unpublished notes of his fathers, concerning that lay... Or he decides to do a little (more like a huge amount) improve of his own (which i'm not too fond of the idea)

Anyways that's just my 2 cents i had to throw in there!

galin

The Children of Hurin

Post#9 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:33 am

Adam Tolkien was interviewed on the matter, which was presented at Fantasymundo.com. The English translation reads (this is part of the interview)...

Alejandro Serrano: 'First of all, we want to know if there will be new material in Children of Húrin, or the text that will be published is essentially the same that appears in other books. This is something that many of we ask ourselves.'

Adam Tolkien: 'This is a more difficult question than it seems: As you know, versions and pieces of the story of Hurin and his descendants have been published in various works (Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Lost Tales, Lays of Beleriand, etc). The text of "The Children of Hurin" is in part compiled from these extant texts, and particularly that which appears in Unfinished Tales.

But it is a new reworking of the complete story. Many parts of the text will be - if not identical - recognizable to the knowledgeable reader, but there are also pieces that have never appeared before.

Also the format of the text, as a standalone and complete text with no editorial commentary to interrupt the tale should in itself and in my opinion considerably tranform the reading experience.

Christopher Tolkien believes there may be many readers who have found the Silmarillion too difficult and distanced in style to be attracted to the story, and who have not wished to make their way through the painstaking editorial content that makes for the main interest of the History of Middle Earth.

We hope that these readers will be sufficiently attracted to "The Children of Hurin", and will discover in this way the "great tale" that was so important to JRR Tolkien and then the whole fascinating mythology that lies behind "The Lord of The Rings".

So in conclusion : Many parts of the text are essentially the same as those that appear in other works (and particularly "Unfinished Tales"), other parts will be new except for those readers who have read in detail the History of Middle Earth.

The text as a whole can be said to be "new" as it is a recomposition of published texts and other "pieces" that weren't published previously. A completed puzzle, in a sense.'

That's just a bit dated now, but might help.

Tyrhael

The Children of Hurin

Post#10 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:41 am

I wonder a couple things — will there be annotations or footnotes as in HoME and UT? "With no editorial commentary" seems to indicate otherwise — but it would be nice to have an index in the back with all the commentaries. Will CJRT "update" certain elements, like Sador Labadal becoming a Drûg?

Return to “The Children of Húrin”