Farmer Giles of Ham

MadWannabe

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Is it the story of the farmer subduing the dragon Chrysophylax? I liked his sword, Talibiter(I think), it is so cool! It is like a longsword with a +10 against dragons(Sorry about the dnd reference...) It was not bad although I thought it was too short.

grondmaster

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

How did I miss this thread?

I loved the wee book and could really relate with Garm, Giles' cowardly dog. It was a fun story, even the many pen and ink illustrations were fun. :elfcool:
'Share and enjoy'

Einar

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

At last somebody answers the question :)

m_cassar

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Farmer Giles of Ham was first published in 1949. Both The Hobbit and Leaf by Niggle were published prior to Farmer Giles of Ham.

Im not sure which story was written first.

I enjoyed Farmer Giles of Ham to no end, Garm was delightful and the taming of Chrysophylax was sensational!

My copy of Farmer Giles of Ham is in Tales from the perilous realm which also contains Leaf By Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. So far, Farmer Giles of Ham is my favourite tale.

Samwisegamgee

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I am just reading Farmer Giles of Ham. It is wonderful, I love it! Mad, I also like Caudimordax (isn't that it's full name?). And the pen and ink drawings in mine are lovely, by Pauline Baynes.

grondmaster

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I am just reading Farmer Giles of Ham. It is wonderful, I love it! Mad, I also like Caudimordax (isn't that it's full name?). And the pen and ink drawings in mine are lovely, by Pauline Baynes.
Yes, Caudimordax is the full name of
"... the famous sword that in popular romances is more vulgarly called Tailbiter. ... This sword ... will not stay sheathed if a dragon is within five miles; and without a doubt in a brave man's hands no dragon can resist it."

- From Farmer Giles of Ham
'Share and enjoy'

Dark_Duelist

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's good book I first read it on an airplane, and it caused me to spill my soda :sad:

grondmaster

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

It's good book I first read it on an airplane, and it caused me to spill my soda :sad:
Would you like to explain how this came about or is it too embarrasing? :elfwink:
'Share and enjoy'

Dark_Duelist

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

We had little table things that out of the chairs. and I had a little cup witch I had my Soda in so the pilot was rising to find some smoother air and, we hit some turbulance and, the book hit the soda a spilt it.

Florian

Farmer Giles of Ham

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I was not sure wether read it or not...but thanx to you guys I will startit soon(if I find the money to buy it from my parents... :( ) Thanx to all!!

Return to “Other...”