movie question?

catz

movie question?

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well I'm new too, so I guess I'll answer you, tho it's a awkward one! :)
In the book Frodo is brought to Rivendell by an Elf Lord called Glorfindel. He is then healed by Lord Elrond. The flood of the Ford is brought about by the power of Lord Elrond with the help of Gandalf.
Now in the movie, Arwen comes to the Ford of Bruinen, carrying Frodo. SHE is the one who brings down the flood. She says something along the lines of," come back into the light" or some such, and then something about Grace being passed to him (Frodo) so he would be spared. Then you see her father Lord Elrond Halfelven. I believe that here you are to assume that somehow Arwen has strengthened Frodo to survive the rest of the trip to Rivendell to her father.
Now, although I love the movie, this is my one problem part!!
Arwen is not a great healer like her father, nor is she of the High Elves, so there really isn't any reason why she'd be able to heal or even pass on ANYthing to Frodo. Still, thats just me nit picking.
I've probably completely confused you now. :)[Edited on 17/1/2002 by catz]

Elspeth

movie question?

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks a bunch catz!!! No you didn't confuse me, it was good to have that cleared up. I am sure there are heaps of things you could nit pick about in the movie compared to the books but there always is I suppose.

Thanks for the welcome PS

PlasticSquirrel

movie question?

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Pretty close Catz. And welcome to both of you by the way.
http://www.plasticsquirrel.co.uk for all your bizarre music and musings needs

PlasticSquirrel

movie question?

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Look around the forum a bit, you'll see we've picked holes in everything we could find! :)

TomBombadillo

movie question?

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

*stupid
Welcome both of you.
(PS: I made it to a guide now!)
:D
This was a tricky part, yeah. But there were so many... :)
Denial is not a river in Africa.

zza

movie question?

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Hi everyone!

I'm back after a short break. Too much work and hurt myself after my jogging expedition on Saturday - mind you, I am a swimmer not a runner.

Anyway, the movie they had to spice it up for the general public - who do not even know who JRR Tolkien, let alone LOTR.

There have never been many female characters in his books or romance. If the movie followed through with the book there won't be much viewer. You can't just rely on good looks - such as Aragorn (Viggio Mortenson) or Legolas (Orlando Bloom) or Arwen (Liv Tyler).

So, if you want to make a movie, any movie - make sure you insert some spice or it won't be seen...

PlasticSquirrel

movie question?

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Sad but true I'm afraid....

oldfandave

movie question?

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

About the issue of "Grace" and Arwen keeping Frodo alive. I believe in the appendices, where more is written about Aragorn and Arwen, Arwen makes "Luthien's choice" (after the Ring has been destroyed, this is done in Gondor). Because Frodo is forever injured by knife and sting, he is given her place in Westernesse, and she chooses mortality with Aragorn. Doing this in the middle of the action is a nice touch, I think, but I didn't even completely catch what was going on until my second viewing, and after having seen the scene in Rivendell with Aragorn where she also explains her choice.

zza

movie question?

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Thanks for the info. I've always wondered about that - would love to have those 2 together.

TomBombadillo

movie question?

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Yupyup. True, all of this, I reckon. If there's no sex in a movie, then lately it's not a good movie. Guess FOTR is an exception... :D
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”