Golden Globes

Golden Globes

Post#1 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

The Academy is notorious for patting insiders on the back. And they *don't* like scifi/fantasy. Moulin Rouge (even if you liked it) never even made the top five best sellers of the year. I can't understand why they reward stinkers with awards. To Ignore LOTR is to relive the release of the original Star Wars, which was also snubbed by the Oscars. Speilburg couldn't even get a nomination until Color Purple. Lucas has been snubbed for decades. No matter how much they say they have "changed" HOllywood is still as close as you can get to a caste system in America and they will continue to spit on the peasants if it pleases them....

Golden Globes

Post#2 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

Well, I liked Beautiful Mind (and Moulin Rouge, even though it gave me a migraine), but yeah, grrr! Dumb Hollywood Foreign Press. But I wasn't surprised. After all, LOTR is "only a fantasy film" and Beautiful Mind is major Oscar bait.

Mel Gibson is going bald. Poor old Mel.

Golden Globes

Post#3 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

A Beautiful Mind - is this similar to the movie American Beauty which also won the Golden Globe? and OScar?? Have not watch the movie I think the American Beauty is such a lame story.

I suppose it shows how stuck up the A****** can be. God, I can get cream here. But come on, I would not spend that money to watch it at the cinema - a complete waste. To me, the cinema is for action pack, fantasy kind of movies.

Golden Globes

Post#4 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

American Beauty was truly terrible. A Beautiful Mind was alright, but LOTR not getting anything was kinda weird.

Golden Globes

Post#5 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

If the "establishment" didn't like the book, then I will be surprised if they like the movie. It really depends on how young the voters are, whether they read and loved the book in their youth. :cool:
'Share and enjoy'

Golden Globes

Post#6 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

True, although Baz Lurhmann isn't much of a Hollywood insider. It was a bad year for comedies, and picking Moulin Rouge let the voters feel edgy. Unlike Beautiful Mind, a nice safe choice. LOTR hasn't got much hope at the Oscars, I'm afraid, outside of tech-type awards. Now if I could vote... :)

Then again, it's not like I'm unbiased, considering I'm, well, /here/. I'm sure there are lots of sad Harry Potter fans, Memento fans, and even I Am Sam fans who all think they were robbed, too.

Golden Globes

Post#7 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I have been unable to find more than 4 movies which I liked from last year, none of which are really oscar material, or even golden globe (unless they bring in that special animation one :D ) for all your bizarre music and musings needs

Golden Globes

Post#8 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I can't believe Nicole won best actress and i reckon Moulin Rouge got best comedy/musical because being australian is 'in' right now in hollywood!
poor peter jackson.
oh well, at least Enya didn't get anything either.[Edited on 24/1/2002 by Rosie]

Golden Globes

Post#9 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

I don't think FOTR has any chance for best movie and "Beautiful Mind" is highly likely. It was good, and Russell Crowe is a fine actor, but what will clinch it is the PC theme of overcoming mental illness. Tolkien's thematic material can't nearly measure up to that--only the Christian theme of good being the master of evil; the corruption of power, the meek shall inherit, etc.--at least in the fevered PC minds of the academy.

Golden Globes

Post#10 » Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 am

They do say LOTR has a fair chance to winning sth at the BAFTA awards. Stupid enough they didn't win a Golden Globe. But hey, who cares anyway? It's silly, but it doesn't really matter to me...
Sing along, chaps!
Denial is not a river in Africa.

Return to “The Fellowship of the Ring”